• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image size changes when dragging to a new document

Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5" x 7" image in PS (24.2.1 and Windows 10). I created a new 8.5" x 11" document and when I drag the 5" x 7" image onto the letter size document, it is significantly larger than 5" x 7".

On the otherhand, if I Place a saved version of the 5" x 7" onto the letter size document, it is the correct size.

Why does a saved document maintain dimensions yet a drag and drop does not?

Bob

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Photoshop doesn't work with sizes. It only works with pixels. A digital image file doesn't have a size.

The size is calculated later, using the ppi number stored with the file. Pixels per inch. Read that literally; it means exactly what it says. It explains itself.

Except when you make Smart Objects! Smart objects by design honor physical size, not pixels. That's in direct contradiction of how Photoshop "really" works; so the ppi calculation is performed behind the scenes and the image resiz

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the PPI of your two images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 5" x 7"is 600 and the letter sized document is 300.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't work with sizes. It only works with pixels. A digital image file doesn't have a size.

The size is calculated later, using the ppi number stored with the file. Pixels per inch. Read that literally; it means exactly what it says. It explains itself.

Except when you make Smart Objects! Smart objects by design honor physical size, not pixels. That's in direct contradiction of how Photoshop "really" works; so the ppi calculation is performed behind the scenes and the image resized/resampled automatically.

If the two ppi numbers are the same, the result of that calculation = 1, so nothing happens. In other words, if you want smart objects to retain their true pixel size when placed; make sure the ppi numbers are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I am having same problem with suddenly , whatever I drag into my workspace is quadrupled in size. I have to decrease my workspace and drag the handles to get it to the size it always has opened in normaly. This is not a pixel size thing. This is a program gone wacky thing. Please tell me how to fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines