Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image size

Engaged ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After I save for web, image showed  800x800 and 176KB.

But when I opened, it showed 1.83M from Photoshop Image size.

Better ask stupid questions then wondering

Thank you for reading it,

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what jpeg compression does. When a jpeg is re-opened, it is decompressed back to its full native size.

This has nothing to do with resolution. Jpeg is a data compression algorithm. As such, it is incredibly effective, often squeezing a file down to 2-5 % of native size on disk.

But at a price. There's no free lunch. Jpeg compression is destructive, cumulative, and non-reversible. Every time you resave a jpeg, it degrades a little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I know why......won't bother me any more.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge,

Enjoy your days and do our best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file on the disk is stored using one or another compression algorithm. After opening, Photoshop "unpacks" and shows how much the file actually takes up in RAM.

When using a color depth of 8bpc, 1 color is encoded in 8 bit. 8 bit = 1 byte. If we are talking about an RGB image, then each pixel contains three colors, then an image of 800x800 pixels takes 800x800x3 = 1,920,000 bytes in memory. Or 1,920,000/1024 = 1875 kB, or 1875/1024 = 1.831 MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines