• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import ai with spot colors

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, need help converting an ai file to psd.

I have an illustrator file with 5 spot colors. I want to import it to photoshop and make spot channels from those spotcolors. Is there an easy way or do I have to do it manually transforming the spot color to a CMYK and then changing the channel on photoshop.

thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect there are several possibilities … 

• print a separated ps or pdf, convert and combine the separated pages

• Create New Smart Object as Copy for each spot color, open the SOs and change all colors except one to white and one to black for each of the SOs 

• …

Is the task a frequent one for you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work processing the prepress files for dry offset printer. All our jobs are spot colors and sometimes we need to make bitmaps of the files that have gradients. 

What we usually do is transform the spot colors to CMYK and open the ai file on photoshop, then copy each CMYK channel to a new spot channel. If we have more than 4 colors, we repeat the procces. 

I was looking for something simpler, more automatic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Smart Object approach could, in theory, be automated with a Script. 

Cross-program Scripting with BridgTalk is not exactly my cup of tea, though, so it might not be very comfortable to Script. 

If the task is quite frequent it might be worth checking out that avenue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can not do what you're asking.  I recommend that you use InDesign to assemble the files and export them to PDF with the correct spot color channels.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines