• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing (2022) PSD file that has a layer effect into QuarkXpress gives 69 error

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I create a file in Photoshop 2022 that includes a layer effect like 'drop shadow', then try and import that file into QuarkXpress, I get a Bad File Error 69.

TEST:

1. Using Photoshop 2021, I create a simple square with a color fill, add a drop shadow layer effect and save
  2. Using Photoshop 2022, I open the 2021 file and resave it (using a different file name)
  3. Open Quark
  4. Import the PSD 2021 file without a problem
  5. Import the PSD 2022 file and you get the 69 error

Somehow, in PSD 2022, when you add a layer effect, it causes the import issue. But PSD 2021 doesn't. I even opened the problem PSD 2022 file in PSD 2021 and resaved and it imported just fine.

By the way, I'm using Mac Big Sur

Any ideas???

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Happy Valentines everyone!

Just downloaded the new 2022 Quark and it's fixed!!!!!

Thought I'd let you all know!

Thanks for all your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Its fixed.... the psd issue that was causing Error 69 in Quark 2021 is fixed.

With Version 17.0.3

Thanks Quark

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you using the latest QuarkXpress version available?

I think the issue is related to some incompatibility between the new photoshop and the import xtension of Xpress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i too am a Quarkxpress 2021 user along with photoshop and i got the same massage "Bad File Error 69".

I have called Quark and they did'nt no anything about that error, then i called Adobe they told me it is a issue with Quark.

I have been using Photoshop & QuarkXpress together for about 15 years and never had this issue, i upgraded from Quark 2015 to 2016 to 2017 to 2018 then 2019 then 2020 alonside all the photoshop upgrades, as soo as i upgraded to Photoshop V 23.1 using now Quark 2021 the PSD issue began, the tech support person at Adobe suggested i downgrade back to Photoshop V 22.5.4 and its working now with that version. I have tried everything, all of my picture files in Quark are in PSD format and i did'nt want to resave them over as Tif's. Also my OS is Big Sur.

If you come up with anything let me know.

Philip

[email removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Francesco and Philip:

Sorry for the dealy in responding...Happy New Year!

Yes, I am running both the latest versions of QX and Photoshop. And as Philip alluded to, QX didn't have an answer -- I'm supposed to call back on Monday after the holidays and Adobe told me it was a QX issue (which is what I expected them to say).

I'll update here after tomorrow's QX phone call.

Thanks for responding!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, it's in correlation with PS layer groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure...all I know is this error occurs when I apply a layer effect like a drop shadow or a bevel/emboss. If no layer effect is applied, the PSD file imports without an issue.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, Happy New Year to you too, I don’t believe it is a Quark thing, I believe Adobe changed something with the PSD file format because when I save the PSD file with PS v 22.5 the PSD show’s correctly in Quark, that is Quark 2021 or any version of Quark you’re running, have 2019, 2020, and 2021 installed.

Your thoughts,

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I don’t believe it is a Quark thing, 

Technically, it would still be a "Quark thing" even if Adobe did change the file format. It's Adobe's right to change the format as they see fit for the future of the program; their only responsibility is to make sure the other Adobe programs can use the new format.

One would presume Quark has a CC subscription (or two) and is on the pre-release and/or beta program. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fix is for now to continue using PS V22.5.4 untill PS corrects the issue if it is in fact a PS issue. I keep checking for and upgrade to to V23.1 to see if the problem is resolved, i can't see why it would be the PSD Extention.?

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip:

I agree with you 100%. I have no problems using the earlier version of Photoshop and saving a native PSD file. It imports perfectly into QX2021. It's when I use the latest Photoshop that I have the issue.

My work stream though suffers:

1. I create a Photoshop file as I need it
  2. Import that into QX as I work on a layout
  3. If I need to make changes to the PSD file, it's easy and direct and of course, updates in QX
  4. When the layout is approved, I then convert the PSD file into a TIF CMYK SWOP 20 file and replace the PSD file with TIF image -- that makes my commercial printers very happy!

So if I continue to use the latest version of Photoshop, I'm forced to save the PSD file and do a Save As JPG/TIF just so I can place it in QX while I work on the layout. Just an extra step (and yes, I have an automated script for that, but it's still an extra step!)

I'll keep you updated!

Thank you!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to a former Adobe employee who is now a Product Manager at Quark to see if I can help them suss out what they might be choking on in the PSDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Really appreciate that!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My fix is for now to continue using PS V22.5.4 untill PS corrects the issue if it is in fact a PS issue." As several of us have said, it's Quark who have to fix this - if they ever fix it (this sort of thing often happens, and support for third party formats often decays with time, getting less and less reliable). Alternatives should be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Are the psd-files saved with maximized file compatibility? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Yes, maximize file compatibility is ON -- set to 'always'

But thanks for asking!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes always...

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don’t believe it is a Quark thing"

It MUST be a Quark thing. Adobe don't make the PSD input filter in Quark. " I believe Adobe changed something with the PSD file format" They probably did. They can do that because it's their proprietary format, and they don't have to tell anyone, least of all their rivals. They can change it in secret ways to make Quark's job harder if they want. Or at least to force Quark to do costly reverse engineering. This game has been going on for decades. If you want to avoid this sort of issue, avoid proprietary formats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine a Photoshop management meeting.

"It's been reported that recent changes to the PSD format mean that QuarkXPress can't import PSD any more"

High five from engineering team.

"Good work. Can we stop them reading PDF too"?

"Sadly not, we don't control that standard any more".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth be told...

• Been doing graphics for 35 years -- started out with light tables, french curves, blue pencils, x-acto knives, "T" Squares...you get the picture
  • Along came a Mac...
    • Ready-Set-Go (page layout program)
    • FreeHand -- anyone remember that?
    • Photoshop
  • FreeHand gets bought and eventually destroyed
    • Forced to learn Illustrator
  • Ready-Set-Go disapears so I learn QuarkXpress
  • I become a QX beta tester for a couple of years

No, I don't want to learn InDesign -- yea, it would be cheaper to no longer pay for QX, but I know it well, I know all it's shortcuts and can't imagine having to convert/recreate so many of my clients' files...

But I sure can picture that Photoshop meeting...champagne for everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>Ready-Set-Go disappears so I learn QuarkXpress

An off-topic tangent here...

Ready, Set, Go! did not disappear. Letraset, the rub-on lettering company bought it and it became DesignStudio. Eventually, another company, Diwan, bought it and it is still available today (only on Windows--it looks like the Mac development stopped at OS 10.6). 

I started with RSG 1.0 since it was available before PageMaker 1.0. RSG 3.0 was the first desktop publishing program to offer automatic hyphenation. I moved on from RSG 1.0,  to PageMaker, back to RSG3.0, to Quark (technically Scitex Visionary and then plain Quark), and finally to InDesign.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! Did not know that. My printer hated RSG! and I won't repeat what they said those initials stood for! They always had issues printing those files...and I forgot about PM, but I never used that.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note if you ever did want to explore InDesign. They have a preset keyboard shortuct set for Quark Xpress users and there is a plugin for converting Quark to ID from Markzware. Makes the transition a whole lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Yes, I've had to do that once or twice or more!

I do use it for one specific project (photo ID printer) since you can combine and ID file with a spreadsheet -- which QX just can't do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Guys Adobe came out today with an update to PS v 23.1, i was hopeful that the PSD issue was addressed but unfortunatly its the same "Bad File Error 69", however Quark has sent me a solicit to upgrade to Quark 2022 for $169.00 after purchasing 2018, 2019, 2020 and presently 2021 i am tempted to go for it to see if they created a new PSD extention.

I'll keep everyone updated, also the same.

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone:

Dang...I haven't had a chance to update my PSD but thanks for letting us know.

I haven't received the invite to upgrade my QX to 2022 yet. I pay a couple years in advance so that should be coming soon.

Thanks!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines