• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

in photoshop CC 2014 where did the oil paint filter go? it is the filter i need for almost every photo

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the oil paint filter anymore in the recent version, it is not hidden in the paint galleries. I hope that Adobe did include it otherwise i cant use the updates anymore....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Hello, it is not available anymore in CC(2014) hence why it is installed side by side to CC.

The info was posted a few months ago: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the chill water splash just today....

One of my main areas of work is paintography, so the Oil Paint filter was a main tool for my line of work, upgraded to 2014, now i have a lot of nails but no hammer.... this is plain outtrageous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep posting these comments.  Adobe DOES read these forums.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really Adobe? Really?  You just removed the oil paint filter in PS?     It was the single most useful filter (to me) and you just removed it without adding a viable alternate ?  Hel-lo?     I used that for all kinds of things, it smoothed out grain, and added a final polish to a finished work.   C'mon Adobe!   Why you gotta be like dat?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I too would like to say how much I enjoyed Oil Painting.

I wouldn't use it every week, but it was a great asset for a certain stylistic approach.

One of our top selling tees for the season used it, to give a baroque, hand painted aesthetic. I'm not saying it would have sold less without it, but it was a pass of texture and stylisation that I was glad to have and really suited the concept I was going for.

Please, PLEASE bring it back Adobe and I'll love you forever

XOXOXOO

226746100_zm_1.jpg

floral-Kenji.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to run 2 versions of Photoshop either andy more, it is a ridiculous solution. I need oil paint. I use it everyday, Adobe- get it together and add an oil painter filter that works with all CC versions PLEEEEEEAAAASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no reply from adobe ggrrr :@ make oil paint filter for CC 2014 poeple !!!! make it happend !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone knows how it works?

What each parameter did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???? It been removed how can it work.... there are no parameters

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant its algorithm.

How does the algorithm work, what are the parameters?
Maybe something similar can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would have been a good question to ask in Adobe Lab website on the pixel bender plug-in Pixel Bender Developer Center archive | Adobe Developer Connection

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original Pixel Bender is dead...

But there are alternatives:

Topaz Impression does way more than the old Pixel Bender

http://www.topazlabs.com/impression

Pixel Bender Accelerator (I never tested)

http://aescripts.com/pixel-bender-accelerator-for-photoshop/

Something free for WIN only

http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/926714

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 08, 2015 Mar 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack‌, Thank you for trying, but again, this is not what I meant.

I asked about the actual math behind it, not a replacement, not the status of Pixel Bender or the product, but how it works.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the algorithm, this may be a good starting point GREYCstoration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developers don't often do not make that type of information public.  Now that Pixel bender is dead perhaps some Adobe employee in Adobe labs would be allowed to make that information public. Ask over at that there site  Adobe Labs | Previews, prereleases and beta software from Adobe

Its dead so maybe they published that information so no one would be able to pattern it in the future.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Believe me, I know about those kind of policies.

I asked if someone knows, someone who reads here.
Some people with the proper background will be able to tell.

Pictus,

GreyCstoration uses Advanced Anisotropic Diffusion, though I think Oil Painitng is PDE based, I'm not sure this is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shame or a huge adobe photoshop cc oil paint filter for iOS have been put to shame really that the EU establish Is it the hell puts cs 6 for the past few months shy of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Wandawega.

It's gone. I hate that too.Not to have an option sucks. When they made the switch, I was in the middle of a project after working a year to establish a style. I had to re-install the CS6. If you can afford it get Topaz Impressions. It is super and I rarely even bother with Photoshop filter gallery anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only walkaround this problem i have found was to have the first version of CC installed in my computer too, so i use cc2014 (now 2015 i guess) for all photo processing but when i want to use the oil paint filter i just loaad the image in the old version. Not the most comfortable solution, but easy enough

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is gone? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Lovely. Just lovely.

Good thing I still have CS6, but still, this is incredibly disappointing and makes me regret in a large part that I signed up for CC. I expect a better and more robust product rather than one which loses features since I'm forking over a good amount of money annually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update to CC2015 removed all old versions. Rather than trying to get an old version back for the oil paint filter, I went looking for an alternative. What I found is this: Krita. Huge wealth of filters. Will take some time for me to learn, but at least I can get some oil paint like effect that hopefully won't disappear from one version to the next ... And, ahem, it's free. And so far it seems less buggy than PS CC2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unbelievable ... why is it i am so much more productive with an older version and on windows than i am on mac ... crap!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Oil Paint filter is now back again! (as of the recent 2015.1 release) Note that it's now found under Filter > Stylize > Oil Paint...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the great news. This gives me some hope back, that Adobe actually cares about their customers. For me, the filter is always greyed out, so I cannot use it yet. But I'm now sure there's going to be a fix for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have OpenCL checked on in your Photoshop Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor > Advanced Settings

You need a card and drivers that can at least support OpenCL 1.1

Full story here: I updated my Photoshop & the Oil Paint Filter is grayed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OpenCL it was. I'm impressed, thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines