Incredibly slow adobe Photoshop and indesign on m1max 32gig ram

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason why adobe runs horrendously slow on the 2021 m1max 32gig macbook pro?  I think at this point it might have been running faster on my previous MBP 16gig from 2013.  I just timed how long it takes the save for web window to pop up. 58 seconds!  This is incredibly frustrating.  Im running the apple silicon version paying $50 a month for adobe CC and it takes me over 1 minute just for a menu to pop up when my 7 year old laptop did it much faster.   This was with no other adobe program even open.  No videos or music playing or anything either.  The geekbench score for single core of the m1max is over 2x faster than my old MBP, and the multi-core score is over 4x faster.  Am I missing something or doing something wrong or does Adobe just not care about really optimizing for Apple Silicon?  Is this why everyone has been switching to Affinity?  Indesign is just as bad.  I have to literally restart my computer and indesign any time I want to use it.  

Photoshop 23.2.2

Indesign 17.1

Monterey 12.3

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Are you running Photoshop in Rosetta? Here is another post that might be helpful: https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install-discussions/creative-cloud-installer-requires-rosett...

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Thanks for your quick reply.  I am running the Apple Silicon version of Photoshop and Indesign, not the Intel version.  I believe Rosetta is installed though because Ive been using this computer since before the Apple Silicon versions came out.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried to take a look at these suggestions?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no actual suggestions in the link you sent.  Only a list of things that are not working yet for native mode, none of which I was using or having issues with.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to completely reinstall the CC with this tool?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Thanks for your quick reply.  I am running the Apple Silicon version of Photoshop and Indesign, not the Intel version.  I believe Rosetta is installed though because Ive been using this computer since before the Apple Silicon versions came out.

By @Lyndon0D44

There is only one version, which contains the code for both Apple Sillicon as well as Intel processors. You can force the app to use the Intel code by selecting it in the Finder, press Cmd-i to get the info dialog and check to 'Use Rosetta 2' checkbox. You will have to do this if you want to edit video, for example. The M1 version does not support video yet. Maybe you did this and forgot all about it? 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried, and the 'Save for Web' dialog comes up in one or two seconds on my M1 Max 16" MBP. Do check that you are not running Photoshop under Rosetta inadvertently!

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  Ive checked and "open with rosetta " is not checked on any of my adobe programs.  I will try to delete everything and start again.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would also make sure you're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere - especially if you used Migration Assistant when you set up your new mac:
Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines