• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INSTALL PREVIOUS VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that the vast majority of my purchased "actions" don't work with the new version of photoshop. Following the list of steps in the actions, it appears that this is because the actions rely on photoshop renaming copied layers (e.g. layer 1 copy 2 etc). The new version doesn't appear to append copied layers with any additional text preventing the action from finding the relevant layer.

I can't seem to find a way of installing a legacy version where the actions will work. I doubt that the action authors will update the actions (though I have fired a request via GraphicRiver "Envato Market" where they were purchased).

Following the Adobe help guide, I can't find an option to install previous versions from my Creative Cloud app list:

1. Scroll down to the app you want to install and select the More actions icon  next to it.
  2. In the drop-down list, select Other Versions (this option isn't available)

Can anyone offer a workaround to install a version where my actions will work so I can continue working on the image in the newest version?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

I've just tested recording an action containing Layer Via Copy and it both recorded OK and created a new layer with copy x appended to the layer name. (x being a number)

Have you stepped through your action to see exactly what is recorded at that step.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Go into Layer Panel Options and see if

Add "copy" to copied layers and groups is checked

648D9E13-9D74-4594-824B-762AC54CE131.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shaun5E17 can you tell which version your actions did work in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just installing the oldest version and will work backwards to see when the updates stopped the actions working... this might take some time 😁

Yours Sincerely,

Shaun WILKINSON

[personal information removed for your protection on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shaun5E17 

do not reply by email or remove your signature before sending. these are public forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'The new version doesn't appear to append copied layers with any additional text preventing the action from finding the relevant layer.'

Mine does - this is v24.4.1 using Ctrl+J (copy layer) a few times on Layer 1

2023-05-16_13-03-39.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Though photoshop will append layers when copied manually (Ctrl+J) it doesn't seem to do the same when I'm running actions. The actions will copy the relevant layer, but when I look in my layers list they are named the same "layer 1".

Unfortunately, the actions later attempt to refer to copied layers that used to be renamed "copy x" etc. This causes the action to stop as the command isn't available (can't find the layer it expects to find).

The actions all worked with previous versions when copied layers were automatically renamed. This is probably because the actions are simply recordings of multiple edits resulting in the action that can play automatically.

I can't find anywhere to automatically rename layers as they did in previous versions. It appears that the oldest version I can install is V22.2, so I will try that to see if the actions work before later updates.

Yours Sincerely,

Shaun WILKINSON

Second notice:

[personal information removed for your protection on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested recording an action containing Layer Via Copy and it both recorded OK and created a new layer with copy x appended to the layer name. (x being a number)

Have you stepped through your action to see exactly what is recorded at that step.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made sure that the "add copy" option is ticked in the layers panel options and it seems to be working now for the majority of my older actions.

Thanks for the help

Yours Sincerely,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Layer Panel Options and see if

Add "copy" to copied layers and groups is checked

648D9E13-9D74-4594-824B-762AC54CE131.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

It's checked and the majority of actions appear to be working now. Thanks for the advice

Yours Sincerely,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Shaun5E17 please note you are replying with your Email signature showing personal information on a public forum. Please refrain from adding this information or risk spammers contacting you directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines