• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Instant Crash - Photoshop - Windows 11

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having an issue with my PC instantly powering off (no blue screen or anything) very soon after opening Photoshop.  I have recently installed Windows 11, updated everything, and have reset Photoshops settings, but it is still happening.

I definitely have enough hardware, (I9-10xxx, 3080 RTX, 64g ram).

It's a very violent power down almost like you'd expect from a power surge.  

Anyone had similar issues?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

I know it has been quite some time, but the issue has not been fixed with the latest updates.  However, I have found a band-aid from an old forum discussion where this has been an issue before. It appears to be related to hyperthreading or the CPU threads.  I saw two fixes in the earlier forum.  The two options are, 

1. Make sure that photoshop is open, open task manager, click on the details tab, right click on Photoshop, and then "set affinity."

It will show you all of the cpus/threads that Ph

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Photoshop crashing upon launch. As you've tried some troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem.
Could you try using the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to completely remove Photoshop from the computer and then reinstall it through the Creative Cloud Desktop app? 

Let us know how it goes.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem.

Brand new windows 11 install on an i9 running a GTX 3090

Completley repeatable, start photoshop, try to select the magic wand tool, instant reboot.

Please help. I can video it happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix to the problem.  I posted a reply to someone in the thread describing the fix.  The forum won't let me copy the same instructions to each person who having the issue (forum "flooding" warning), but check out my reply to Jeffrey Tranberry to see how to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system.

If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is similar to whats happening to me when i try to run some of the new neural filter additions and the object selection. Had to go back to 2021 version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through the cleanup process and re-installed the 4-5 Adobe products I'm using.  I opened up photoshop, opened a photo, went to see if my preferences (performance) was using my graphics card or not (It was) and then opened up The neural filters and clicked a few of the toggles to ON and again.. the PC just shutoff.  No warning, no crash, no bluescreen, just an instant power down.

Not only does it power off, but it tries to reboot automatically and fails to do so (looks like maybe the monitor isn't loading??).  When I flip the power on and off again after the initial crash and failed auto reboot attempt, it reboots just fine.  

Someone below me in this thread mentioned they were having similar issues with the neural network features.  I hadn't noticed if it was specifically related to this on previous crashes, but it definitely was on this crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the PC just powers off instantly (no crash, no blue screen).  So, I don't think I can submit a crash report?  I just went through the cleanup process and re-installed.

I opened an image in photoshop, checked a performance preference setting and opened the neural network menu and clicked a few of the toggles to ON and it instantly shut down again.

It tries to auto-reboot and fails to do so (nothing appears on the screen).  I have to flip the power switch after the initial failed auto reboot and it reboots just fine.  This has happened every time it's done this.  

Someone below mentioned they were having similar issues with the neural network features and I hadn't noticed if it was specifically related to that before, but it definitely was on this last attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.  I just went through the whole cleanup and re install process, opened photoshop and turned on some tabs in the neural network options and it did it again.  I hadn't noticed if it was related to those features before, but it definitely was this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retrogamer, by chance do use EVGA Precision X1 or afterburner or anything similar? May I ask your graphics card? And is it using the default graphics card bios? 

Just curious if there could be any obvious similarties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently runing a 30 series card too. I am guessing it might be a driver issue, i am running on the default bios.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still unresolved.  If anyone happens across a fix, I'd be forever grateful!  I just re-installed 2021 version and it still crashed shortly after using the portrait neural network feature.  I've tried both the nvidia studio driver and the regular driver.  Perhaps I'll try an older driver.

It does seem clear that it is not just a strictly me issue, since Retrogamer is/was having the same issue and was actually able to pinpoint that it seems related to the neural network features.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhiDough, are you running bitdefender by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not.  I did notice that it was also crashing when I used the object selection tool as well.  It also seems to be "stuttering" as I mouse over some of the other various tools.  I've seen people have stuttering issues in the past, but still can't get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the whole system is crashing it's almost certainly a low level failure (hardware or driver) most likely your GPU. Before opening any files, go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last Photoshop update seemed to have worked for me. It hasn't crashed on me since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem as PhiDough and it was solved for me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did but the problem unfortunately is not solved 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just adjusted this setting as recommended and will see if it changes anything.  I have been having the same issue as others have reported here with two recent additions.  1) I have a large PS file I have been developing and suddenly the system crash will totally corrupt the file.  With this development I am now backing up a back up file to ensure I have access.  2) Upon the reboot my system boot sequence is being reset requiring me to go into the start up sequence and reset it.  PS is the ONLY application that is causing any issues on my system and has become extremely frustrating as you now have no idea if/when it will randomly close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it has been quite some time, but the issue has not been fixed with the latest updates.  However, I have found a band-aid from an old forum discussion where this has been an issue before. It appears to be related to hyperthreading or the CPU threads.  I saw two fixes in the earlier forum.  The two options are, 

1. Make sure that photoshop is open, open task manager, click on the details tab, right click on Photoshop, and then "set affinity."

It will show you all of the cpus/threads that Photoshop uses.  I have a 14 core processor (28 threads), so I removed cpus (threads) 14-28, leaving 0-13 with ticks in the box.

This COMPLETELY alleviates the problem.  Unfortunately, it seems I have to do it EVERY time I open photoshop.

2. This option, unfortunately, will have an effect on performance across all software that can utilize the feature. Turning off hyperthreading in the bios also fixes the problem.  You only have to do this one time.

It seems like this has been an issue in the past that has been fixed before, but the issue seems to have worked its way back into the code.  

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any alternatives!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered the same situation,  as soon i've update the OS to Windows 11.

I also send various log, and unistalled and istalled again PS but without any good effect. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix.... I tried re-installing - upgrading and every kind of change but it just kept crashing so I went to a preveous backup and just replaced the whole Adobe directory in

C\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\(Adobe).

and renamed the other as a backup, just in case i needed it.  Untill I run all the features I won't know but it let me open py picture from lightroom into photoshop.  Good luck with yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have had it since I bought a new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed, meaning I cannot go back to Windows 10. (The computer has all it takes regarding processor, memory, and GPU for running PS). Windows 11 is in all respects better than Windows 10, and all programs other than PS CC are running perfectly, so even if I could, I should not want to change to Windows 10.
Recently there seem to have been some major improvements. PS has become faster, but I'm still not able to resize a picture for saving using alt+i, and it often freezes when I start cropping a picture. Or it just out of the blue tells me that "due to a runtime-failure GPU-acceleration has been deactivated for the remaining time of the session."
Again and again I get the message that there is a solution to my problems. There is not. So far nothing has helped. Only Adobe can solve the problems.
I can also see that Adobe is now going to stop 3D facilities in PS - due to "GPU issues with newest OS", and that 3D shall not come back. 

I wonder if GPU-problems in general have become that big that we shall not expect a well-functioning PS? I so much like PS, but if Adobe cannot promise improvements very soon, I might, after all, be better served with less advanced but stable competition. I have found alternatives, and had it not been for the most recent improvement, I had cancelled my subscription by now. 
Therefore my question: When can I and other customers expect a well-functioning PS, running on Windows 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been dealing with "constant" crashes while using PS.  Almost a year ago I purchased an Alienware R12 (i7, RTX3080, 32mg).  Ever since I have had issues while using PS freezing and crashing.  Lately it has gotten worse and now the system crashes to the bios boot screen.  I have been working with Dell but so far there are no apparent hardware issues noted.  Yet it has become a constant, 90%+ of the time, issue while I use PS.  As I attempt to navigate through the toolbar or navoagate through a files layers I will get no response.   At that point I now know it's done and I sit and watc has the system executes a reboot.  Add to this after some of the most recent PS updates I now have screen tearing.  As I move a layer a "shadow" remains and does not go away.  At some point this becomes unusable and I will save the file, close it and have to reopen to refresh the screen.  As I do this I am always concerned with it freezing and rebooting .  I am now also at a point hat I will save the file after almost every change to try and ensure I do not lose anything I am doing.  Talking about frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same issue, RTX2080Ti + Windows 11 (was not an issue prior to either a recent Photoshop version or Windows 11 (can't recall which occurred first).

I played around with the following combination based on PhiDough starting point:

1. Set affinity manually to 13 processors.

2. Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Untick "Enable multithreaded compositing".

3. Photoshop > Preferences > 3D > Set "Available VRAM for 3D" to 80% instead of 100%.

4. Select Magic Wand tool

After this I finally had some different behaviour!

Instead of hard rebooting, I got an Adobe Crash Report window (which I submitted, not sure if this is important to the final fix)

After this, I found another suggestion to start Photoshop with "Shift" key down and "Disable optional plugins" during the launch process. Upon doing this I got normal behaviour (no crash reports or reboots). 

Following this, I went and deleted every extension in the Creative Cloud app, and also deleted a bunch of directories in any "UXP" folders I could find (eg Roaming, Program Files > Common, etc)

I launched Photoshop again and did not perform the Set Affinity step - still no crashes, so I then re-enabled "Use multithreaded compositing" and restarted Photoshop. 

Last five launches are now working fine. I would guess this had at least some root in a corrupt plugin, but like with all "kitchen sink" debugging it's hard to identify the one exact true cause.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines