Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Integrate pin realistically

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
for a coupon I want to pin a text field that looks like a fabric patch on the background. For this I have integrated a long pin to hold the patch in place. Now it all looks a bit flat, because the entrance and exit of the pin is very unrealistic. Therefore I ask the question, how you would design this. The style goes in the direction of clipart, so should not be photorealistic. I already tried to work with certain filters to get wrinkles but that didn't really work.
Thanks for the help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Hey,

thanks a lot for your help. What you say totally makes sense, I think I will change the pin and get rid of the hem in this case since the Pin is some sort of an eye catcher I guess. Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

You need to add some light and shadow to the tag and the underlying fabric to give the impression that it is pinned on.  

This is just a quick rough idea of it -- if I were doing this for final output, I would pin a tag to a piece of fabric, and look at how the folds created light and shadow, and then do a simplified version on the final piece.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.34.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot? Off hand, without seeing it, I would say you need to use a displacement map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is 🙂 I know its not really good, im still learning. Thanks for helping

Geheim_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to start with what actually happens. It can be a lot of work to fake it in Photoshop, but your design is unrealistic because it isn't where a pin would actually be. 

1. The pin is entirely under the patch. It doesn't hold it on at all 

2. The pin is entire on top of the background. It isn't held to the background.

3. The text Naehen is actually on top of the pin. This doesn't really make sense, best to just avoid the overlap.

Play with a pin and a patch and photograph or sketch the reality.

Also: you have three elements each either sewn or hemmed, and one pin. You either need to pin all of them, or not have a hem on the one you are pinning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

thanks a lot for your help. What you say totally makes sense, I think I will change the pin and get rid of the hem in this case since the Pin is some sort of an eye catcher I guess. Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to add some light and shadow to the tag and the underlying fabric to give the impression that it is pinned on.  

This is just a quick rough idea of it -- if I were doing this for final output, I would pin a tag to a piece of fabric, and look at how the folds created light and shadow, and then do a simplified version on the final piece.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.34.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I really love it. Did you simply use a brush for this or a filter? I'd love to do it as told y´by you but how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I painted the light and shadow on separate layers, blurred them and changed the opacity until I liked how it looked. 

The white layers I set to Luminosity, and the black ones I left at Normal

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 12.26.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines