Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internet connection required

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day all,

I recently discovered that I needed an internet connection in order to use Photoshop. After further research I found that it requires validation every 30 days in order to continue use. I have been a customre for over 20 years and no longer use it professionally. Not being able to use my software when needed due to no internet (I live in the country) is unacceptable. I called Adobe help and was told that this is just how it is. So, as I begin my search for a replacement, I am wondering if anyone here has any recommendations.

TYIA

Amanda

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there is no need for internet connection to run Photoshop it is only required once you want to activate your trial period or subscription after that it can be used offline...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there is no need for internet connection to run Photoshop it is only required once you want to activate your trial period or subscription after that it can be used offline"

That statement is not entirely correct, as an ACP you should be familiar with Adobe's offline grace

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud software verifies the account status on Adobe servers once a day. If the account is in good standing (that is, payment is up-to-date) when the last verification happens, the software status refreshes to run for at least 99 days offline.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/manage-apps-services-desktop.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, considering the payment is drawn automatically, how could it not be in good standing. So apparently it had been more than 99 days since using PS and the time I actually needed it for something, I was unable to because my internet was down. This just seems wrong to me. I know, not your fault or problem. But it is my problem when I can't use something that I have to pay for every month. So, thanks for the info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amanda25445492jbyq wrote:

Well, considering the payment is drawn automatically, how could it not be in good standing. 

It still has to check and not all subscriptions are "drawn automatically"; you subscribe on July 31st, 2001 for a year plan. You better believe that a year and one day later (tomorrow), the activation system is going to check and you better have renewed the subsctiption because in 99 days or so, you're SOL. 

So apparently it had been more than 99 days since using PS and the time I actually needed it for something, I was unable to because my internet was down.

That's not Adobe's fault. You apparently didn't log into your ACC account between the time they allow, your net access was down; but now you know how it really works.

ACC should be checking your status and plan. I'm pretty sure you could go a year without using Photoshop but you'd need to have ACC active and checking any other Adobe softaware activation. Use say Lightroom Classic, PS should be good to go too. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend getting an Internet connection. Whether for good or bad, modern computing does lean heavily on connectivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is very helpful advice except I do have internet. However, I live in the mountains, in the country and the service goes out with stormy (sometimes not stormy) weather. But thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The verification check is very short and uses minimal data, so even (for example) temporary mobile phone tethering would be enough just for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Lumigraphics wrote:

The verification check is very short and uses minimal data, so even (for example) temporary mobile phone tethering would be enough just for that.

Indeed, even doable tethered to a cell phone on 4G! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amanda25445492jbyq wrote:

as I begin my search for a replacement, I am wondering if anyone here has any recommendations.

My beloved aunt had the same issue in the mountains, so I can relate. One thing you can check is Photoshop Elements, which comes on disk and has a perpetual license. It can't do everything PS can do, but it's pretty good. You can get a 30-day trial to see if it works for you.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html

Scroll way down (past the "Buy Now" to "Start with a Free Trial")

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines