• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a difference between paths drawn with traditional pen too and curvature pen tool?

Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always used the curvature pen tool and wondered why more experienced Photoshoppers use the traditional pen tool. The older tool just seems clunky to me and I can't see any difference.

Until now, that is. The attached video starts with a snippet from a  Youtube tutorial about drawing hair. The instructor says that if you have an anchorpoint selected on a path, you can press the Alt  key followed by an arrow key to create a duplicate path. The second part of the video shows me testing that concept successfully.

I tried to do the same thing with a path generated by the curvature pen tool. It didn't work. Pressing the Alt-key just deselected the graphic.

Is that how it's supposed to be? Is there a way to convert a curvature pen tool path to a traditional pen tool path?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Ok i found a work around
On the curvuture path you draw, select the point you want to duplicate with the regular pen tool

And then do the Alt + arrow thing

Maybe there is something in the programing of curvuture tool which doesn't allow this (since the curves are automated)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A path is the same regardless which tool you use to draw it. You could start with the regular pen tool and switch to the curvature tool. It's really only a matter of preference. Many more experienced Photoshop users prefer the regular pen tool because it has been around since the beginning of time, and change is hard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many more experienced Photoshop users prefer the regular pen tool because it has been around since the beginning of time, and change is hard. 

Not to mention that the Pen Tool provides immediate control of the PathPoints and their Bezier Handles. (Edit: … including the first PathPoint)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they are the same
Make sure you have the path layer selected in the Paths window rather than the design layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested your theory, and it didn't work. I drew a path  on the same layer using the traditional pen tool and the curvature tool. I  held down the Alt key and pressed an arrow key. On the traditional pen tool path, I got the expected duplicate path. On the curvature pen tool, pressing Alt turned the selected anchor point white. It did not duplicate the path.

Weird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i found a work around
On the curvuture path you draw, select the point you want to duplicate with the regular pen tool

And then do the Alt + arrow thing

Maybe there is something in the programing of curvuture tool which doesn't allow this (since the curves are automated)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That works perfectly. You can also select multiple points on the curve. Thanks Ajajeh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines