• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way of moving all of these at once...?

Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Whenever I try to select and move multiple elements/folders that contain masks they all seem to get shunted over, which leaves a noticeable gap to the side.

deYAgWWIJI.gif

I want to duplicate the folders and their contents over multiple times to fill the canvas. Is there any way of doing that so everything - images. their colours, text, shapes etc - are the only things to move, without it affecting the masks? Ideally, I want to keep the masks as I want to change the colours for each image.

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

It depends how you made the mask. There are three ways to create your mask, one of which leads to issues.

1. Select the required area then add your colour fill layer. That should move fine as the mask black actually extends off the canvas.

2. Delete the layer mask, select the required area and use Layer >Layer Mask > Reveal selection. That again should move fine as the black again extends beyond the canvas.

However

3. Adding a color fill with a white mask then selecting the required area, in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to notice the offending effect. 

Does it persist when you view at View > 100%? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on my graphics tablet, so a 100% View is way too zoomed in.

I've tried to highlight it more in this GIF. You can see that some of the masks are being moved but others aren't.

7I8CdGFgmx.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends how you made the mask. There are three ways to create your mask, one of which leads to issues.

1. Select the required area then add your colour fill layer. That should move fine as the mask black actually extends off the canvas.

2. Delete the layer mask, select the required area and use Layer >Layer Mask > Reveal selection. That again should move fine as the black again extends beyond the canvas.

However

3. Adding a color fill with a white mask then selecting the required area, inverting the selection and filling with black will show the effect you are showing in your video. That is because the black only extends to the edges of the canvas and when moved an unmasked area is revealed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you so much for the suggestions. 😄 Although, I thought I'd already used a Reveal Selection Layer Mask as I used a black Mask by clicking on the Add layer mask icon. I essentially used a combination of the Quick Selection Tool/Magic Wand Tool on the areas I wanted and then clicked on Add layer mask. But after that, I did use a Solid Color via the Adjustment Layer icon and then copied the mask and pasted it into the Color Fill's white mask box. Clearly not the best way of doing it... ^^;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid I had misunderstood previously. (edited)

It seems you created at least some Layer Masks »badly« – for example by creating a Reveal All-Layer Mask and filling it black, instead of starting with a Hide All-Layer Mask. 

Unless you want to check all the Layer Masks and rectify them manually you could, as a work-around, apply a Layer Mask or Vector Mask to the main group itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll re-set them all up manually. It's not a problem. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines