• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to change the default settings for quick mask view?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick masks are always 50% opacity red, and I find it to be very strenuous on my eyes to look at that color red while working for periods of time, and I use mask a lot. I am always having to change my quick mask to a preferred blue at 25%. Is there a way to assure this as a default setting when opening a file without having to go into every single file and adjust this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, double click on the Quick Mask icon in the tool box and it will bring up a dialogue box where you can change the opacity (and the colour).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I understand how to change it manually, but how to I keep it from being defaulted to red when I open a new file? That is my issue, I'm having to re-adjsust my mask preference with every image and I would like it to stay where I set it last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Derek,

I think I realized where the problem is lying. The files that I'm opening have been previously opened and saved on a different machine where the mask setting is default. Is there any way to allow the file to register my mask preference if someone has already saved the file out themselves under their settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's a sticky setting, so once you set it, it should stay set. Shouldn't matter if they have been opened and saved previously. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that isn't happening for me. I've spent a good porition of my day today having to individually change my quick mask settings every single image I open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sticky as already stated above, if you have problem with color then try to reset preferences from Preferences > Reset Preferences on Quit then restart Photoshop. Save any unsaved actions, brushes... befre reseting preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file with the “old” Red Quick Mask
Press Q and again Q.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution to this? I am having to do the same thing on every file, why is there not a setting for this in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just double click on the Quick Mask Mode and change the Colour, Opacity and Area to the one you want – quick and easy!

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 10.34.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks but how do I set this as default? when I open files that have been saved with the previous setting they default back to 50% red mask. There needs to be a universal preference that sets your defaul quick mask option? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines