• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to make the fill bucket expand by a custom number of pixels?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a digital artist and I color by selecting areas of my lineart and expanding the selection by half the width of my lines, so I can get a clean lineless color layer. It would save me a lot of time if I didn't have to expand all of my selections and could just use the fill tool. Is there a way to make a custom fill tool that automatically fills a certain number of pixels outside of its edges?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. 

Work-arounds could be 

• coloring on a separate layer and applying Minimum to it afterwards (with »All Layers« checked for the Paint Bucket Tool) 

• coloring on a lower layer where the artwork has been »shrunk« (Maximum) below the multiplying artwork (with »All Layers« unchecked for the Paint Bucket Tool)

• …

Have you created and Action for expanding and filling and assigned it a shortcut? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was searching for this same thing, and the action c.pfaffenbichler suggested has been working great for me. I'm coloring on a layer beneath my line drawings and selecting areas with the magic wand tool set to "Sample All Layers." Then I've recorded a custom Action with F3 as the hotkey that Expands my selection by 3 pixels (Select Menu > Modify > Expand) and also Fills the selection with the foreground color (Edit Menu > Fill).

Now I can do exactly what I wanted -- make a selection from my line art, set a foreground color, and press F3 to expand and fill it in on my colors layer. Super fast and handy for coloring clean line art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines