• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to see which PSDs a file is linked to?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the 'Link to File' feature which allows you to link a psd or img files to multiple PSDs.

Its really useful but then I have placed this one file (lets call it A.PSD) to alot of other PSDs (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.PSD), it is a pain to hunt for all of the PSDs that A is currently placed in.

Is there a way:  be it a menu tool or a script, that allows me to open up 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.PSD just by having A.PSD open?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac a simple search in the Finder for the name of the Linked Smart Object would turn up the files because of the Layer Name. 

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 08.46.12.jpg

Other than that: 

What about the files 9.psd, 10.psd, 11.psd, …? 

How could those be ruled out? How many files are there in total that may need evaluating? 

A (very theoretic) option I see would be Scripts that are linked to the Events »Place Linked«, »Relink to File«, »Convert to Linked«, … to create indices. 

Of course flattening an image, deleting of Layers, … could also affect the presence of Linked Smart Objects so those operations would need to be kept track of, too.  

But maybe someone else has more insight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fierying wrote:

Is there a way:  be it a menu tool or a script, that allows me to open up 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.PSD just by having A.PSD open?

You can use Adobe Bridge's Find command, with the criteria of "all metadata" and enter the linked filename.

So you search for the linked file, which isolates all the files that contain the link, and then open these files (so opposite to how you describe to achieve the same result).

Once the find has completed, there is a "linked files" metadata entry in Bridge's metadata panel will also show the linked file/s once you have performed the search. More info can be found in File > File Info > Raw Data.

It would be nice if this was a Bridge filter panel option for the browsed directory, but there isn't (the Find command does the same anyway).

The command line ExifTool program can also be used to search for this "Ingredients" metadata, which is faster if you don't need a GUI and graphical display of the images (the following command is for the Mac, Win would use " double straight quotes and the appropriate file path syntax).

exiftool -if '$IngredientsFilePath =~ /My-Linked-File.psd/' -IngredientsFilePath '/Path to/folder to search'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder, though, how far-reaching the OP hoped the »index« to be – all files on all local volumes, even on not currently connected volumes, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines