• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do we do now 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

If you are missing SVG format from Export as option after the Photoshop 22.5 update then, go to Photoshop > Preferences > Export > Enable "Use legacy Export As" option > restart Photoshop. You should start seeing the SVG format under Export as option.

If you are seeing this issue prior to Photoshop 22.5 update and using M1 machine (Apple Silicon), take a look at M1 native known issue here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mohit Goyal  thanks, in my case, this solved the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont have an apple and i dont see  Enable "Use legacy Export As" option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you running? Sounds like you don't have a current version installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tusuantp70857276 wrote:

dont have an apple and i dont see Enable "Use legacy Export As" option 

If you are on Windows, then Preferences is in the Edit menu.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me as well, this resolves my issue. Thanks for the share!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SVG option disappeared in the "export as" menu. Please fix this bug!

PS-version 22.5.3
How to reproduce: Export as -> format dropdown -> SVG is not available

Mac OS BigSur

Exporting a file containing a path I expect to see the format option SVG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, 

I've been using the "export as > SVG" quite a lot recently. 
I usually used it to export text elements that have been converted to a form.

Unfortunately since a couple of days this is not possible anymore, as I'm only able to select jpg, png, gif.

Is there a reason for it or is it a bug? Quite annoying that I need to rebuild these single items in Illustrator or XD now.

Thanks and best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. There's is no longer an option in preferences under export to choose "legacy" option. There is no save as SVG and using the quick export format as SVG doesn't create a true SVG file just saves it as one. This is a huge oversight...

ss-nolegacyexportopt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your version? In 23.0.2 it's still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have got the same problem today. Yes downgrade is the key, to PS 22.3.1 or use Illustrator instead as it was suggested OR you can (with patience) :

1.  for a folder with multiples vector layers or just a layer selected (in the layers panel) : use the right contextual menu COPY SVG to copy the svg code and paste it to a text editor as TextEdit or NotedPad and save it as .svg (or an HTML editor as brackets or whaterver)
  2. with associated vector forms of the selected layer : use an old still usefull script made for PS CS6 when export and save as svg was impossible. NB : You will need to add colors after generation inside the SVG code with an editor ... Hopefully this script is still available today, nammed pathtosvg.jsx. And thanks to the author Pomax by the way  https://github.com/Pomax/photoshop-paths-to-SVG/blob/master/pathtosvg.jsx

Best regards 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some more tests to find out exactly how useful export to SVG is from Photoshop. So here's what happens when you "legacy" export and reopen the file in Illustrator:

• Shape layers and live text do survive as editable vector. (when I said in a post above that text would be vectorized into shapes, that was incorrect. It remains live editable text).
  • Drawn paths, however, do not survive. If you fill the path, it comes up in Illustrator as a raster shape. If you don't fill it, it doesn't appear at all.

So all in all I think my argument still stands: if you're going to Export to a vector format like SVG, do it from a proper vector application like Illustrator. Photoshop is not the tool for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse , can you look at the XML code and tell us what you see?

https://www.w3schools.com/graphics/svg_examples.asp

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jane, I know nothing about code or how to read it or what it means. I'm a photographer who uses PS and dabbles in Ai when needed. I can open and save files and tell you what I get, but the rest is a different career than the one I chose 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tech preview > Optimized Export As is unchecked. For more info, check this out: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html#native-known-issues

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to rollback to version 22.3.1 because neither 22.4 or 22.4.1 showed the option to export as svg.
Is this a bug, or has Photoshop stopped supporting it ?

OS info:

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
11.3.1 (20E241)

Cheers !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lucas_SE,
also in the new version, it is possible to export to SVG. The path to follow is File, Export, Export As, and choose SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Reiner Schmeinck wrote:

unfortunately does not work.

"Does not work" is vague.

Are your specs the same as the OP's: MacBook Air (M1, 2020); 11.3.1 (20E241) ? If not, what are they? Are you using Rosetta? What version of PS? What happens when it "does not work"?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Doesn't work" is vague?

It is simply tiring to ask the same questions over and over again and give the same answers to a problem that has existed for months. SVG saving does not work with Mac M1 and Big Sur 11.5.1! The last working version is 22.3.1. everything after that can't save SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Reiner Schmeinck wrote:

"It is simply tiring to ask the same questions over and over again."

Thank you for letting us know this, as I see now that you've started three topics on this issue in addition to adding to this one. The way to avoid asking the same questions over and over again is to not post on four separate threads.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/new-update-can-t-save-as-svg-through-photoshop-20...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/photoshop-22-4-2-what-a-desaster/m-p/12137486

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/22-4-3/m-p/12187822

In your first post you were told by Adobe Staff that the product team is aware of the issue and is looking for a fix. You were also given this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

~ Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an issue with M1 native photoshop.

If you run photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > Tech Preview > Optimized Export As is unchecked, then you can export SVG as explained in this adobe KB:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html#native-known-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines