• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue Cropping Images after selecting inverse

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: Photoshop no longer allows you to crop an image after you select inverse.

Provide Photoshop version: 23.3.0 20220405.r.394 3413e05 x64
Provide OS and version: MacOS 10.15.7

Steps to reproduce issue:
1. Open document

2. Select portion

3. Crop

4. Save for web

5. Select inverse, then try to crop again. It doesn't work.

Expected result: Photoshop should allow you to crop a different portion of the file
Actual result: Nothing happens

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you make a selection and inverse it, you need to be left with a single selected area for "Image > Crop" to work.

Perhaps you are making a selection in the middle of your document such that when you inverse it you are left with multiple selected areas. In this case "Image > Crop" will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several reasons, so here are some random questions:

• What does your first selection look like? Is it the middle of the image and you are inverting it to get the outer edges — or have you selected the left half and are inverting it to select the right half (for instance)?

• What are the steps that are in the History panel?

• Since you are using Save for Web and you want two images, would it work to make two slices first, then Save for Web?

• When you make the first selection, are you sure that you have selected the edge pixels? If you miss a tiny bit, then invert, PS will catch those bits when you invert the selection.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. Something important I neglected to note is that this worked fine until a few updates ago (though I can't pin down which one). It also still works fine in PS 2021.

The single selection suggestion was a good one, but I can confirm that was ruled out in my testing. If it's not resolved, I may either go back to PS 2021 or try the slice approach instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help you to CROP  image : online image converter - Abu Rayhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FCAR 

We still don't know how you are making your initial selection. If this is a one-time error, you might try again.

If, for example, you are selecting the left half,  then it's best to start your selection outside of the image and extend it below the image. The marquee will snap to the actual pixels. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen folks try to start from the exact upper left hand corner and then miss a row of tiny pixels. 

I'm not saying this is what happened, but if there is an error in the first selection, it could cause the errors you see when you do the inverse. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jane-eI appreciate your thoroughness! My selections for this task begin off-canvas to ensure I don't miss part of the corner.

The use case is quite niche. What I'm doing is importing PDF pages from the print version of a newsletter, then saving separately cropped sections for web for use in an internal e-mail campaign for my job. It's weird approach (instead of doing a proper text/html-based solution), but it has been their system and I haven't rocked the boat enough to change it.

Because it works like it always did in PS 2021, I'm thinking something in PS 2022 has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines