• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with crop sizing in Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last version and all preceding versions I would set a crop size, say 24x16, adjust the crop and the finished image would be 24x16.  In this latest version, updated on 2021-10-27, when I crop the image the size of the image also changes.  Example the image is 24x16 before, 23.3x15.1 after the crop.  How can I correct this issue?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your crop tool settings in the options bar.

Photoshop doesn't really work with sizes, it works with pixels. Size is determined by the ppi setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of that but my problem is that this latest update has photoshop shrinking the size of the image after the crop. and I need to keep it the same size: 24"x16".

I have tried all the setting but it keeps reducing the size of the image instead of resampling and maintaining the size I set for the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, a crop should reduce size, that's what a crop is.

To maintain the same print size, you need to reduce ppi accordingly. You really don't want to resample upwards unless you absolutely have to. It will always look better without the resampling, even at a lower ppi.

But assuming you really have to, just set the size and required resolution (ppi) in the options bar. Then the crop will resample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that and the image is still shrinking in size.  It didn't do this before the update yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to revert back to the program prior to the update from yesterday?  It worked the way I am accustomed to before the software update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens depends on the crop tool options in the options bar at the top of the workspace. It is possible to get both results, depending on how you set it up.

If you want 24 x 16 as a pure aspect ratio (proportions), in the options bar make sure Ratio is selected, and 24 x 16 is entered. The final physical size might change, but the 24 x 16 aspect ratio will be preserved.

Photoshop-Crop-tool-aspect-ratio.jpg

If you want 24 x 16 in a specific physical unit of measure such as inches, choose W x H x Resolution in the options bar and also enter a ppi resolution value, such as 24 x 16 at 300 ppi. This will ensure that no matter how you crop, the resulting image will always be 24 x 16 at 300 ppi. To make that number happen, Photoshop must resample the image, but it sounds like that may be what you’ve always done in the past.

Photoshop-Crop-tool-physical-units.jpg

None of this has changed in recent versions, so if it changed for you during this upgrade, what probably happened is that your Creative Cloud update options are set to not use your existing preferences, so your old Crop tool settings were left behind. Next time you upgrade, make sure it’s set to import the previous versions’s settings and preferences.

Photoshop-update.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad.  This is exactly what I needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have one more issue which I cannot figure out.  My images are no longer centering on the workspace when I open them or after I crop them.  I have looked everywhere for a solution, but I could use just a little more help.

Thank you,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this does what you want:

Choose Edit > Preferences, select the Tools panel, and disable the Overscroll option.

(I like having Overscroll on, so it’s up to you whether you value automatic centering more than being able to scroll the canvas around past the edge of the window when needed.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Who knew it could be that easy to fix?  Hey it was you, Conrad.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines