Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jaggies/glitches when pasting/moving files into photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

running macOS and since 10.15 updated PS from an earlier version and now having issues with images that never had any trouble with previously.

I work with graphic files for printing and copy/paste them into new sized docuents relating to size of print required. I open previously sized files and copy them into the new document saving me having to create new files eveytime. This has always worked and still works when tried on a friend's laptop running a version of CC2017. However, when I do what I have always done and CMD-T to move the image to centralise, the file ends up with jaggies like the attached image shows - I've attached a file showing the jaggies and one showing the original file (created in an earlier PS) jaggie-free.

These jaggies are not in the original file and as mentioned, I can do exactly the same (samne settings) in CC2017 and works perfectly.

Please can someone help out as I'm struggling here!

I've tried adding more scratch disks, emptying space, using Bilinear, Bicubic etc in the CMD-T settings but nothing helps. If I copy/paste the file in and dont move it, it is fine - its only when the file is transformed/moved that this happens.

Thank you,

Joe

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

And one where you transform the object? 

»I work with graphic files«

Do you mean Vector Smart Objects? 

If so is anti-alias checked? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

My previous workflow was the designs started off as .eps files for colouring then imported from illustrator into PS for tiling up to the required print size. Since upgrading to CC2021 however, the .eps only import as 72DPI and the option to import as 300DPI has gone - this is one for another day but I'm now exporting from illustrator as a PDF then opening in PS. 

However, these files I'm having issues with currently are all previous files that have already been tiled up in an earlier PS and saved for previous print jobs as PDFs.

I open the PDFs - sometime PS CC2021 asks opening to the bounding box, sometimes it doesnt (prior to PS CC2021, it never asked, just opened) and then copy and paste them into a new document at the same DPI but at the new print size.

I then centralise the image, flatten and save the file as a PDF.

This has always worked without any glitches since I started working with files like this in 2016 - it is only since upgrading to CC and Catalina I am having issues and it only seems to be when the file is moved (CMD-T) after pasting from the earlier file.

As mentioned, I can move over to a borrowed laptop running CC2017 and everything works flawlessly. 

If you need any more info, please let me know - where is the anti-aliasing option in CC2021? I've attached a screenshot of the toolbar when pasting in the file but only the interpolation shows. 

I've also gone thorugh all the settings in CC2021 and made sure wherever possible they are all the same as in CC2017 that works.

Thank you, Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I can move over to a borrowed laptop running CC2017 and everything works flawlessly«

What are teh Imterpolation settings there? 

I would recommend sticking with Bicubic or Bicubic Automatic in general. 

»I open the PDFs - sometime PS CC2021 asks opening to the bounding box«

You may want to place them as Smart Objects instead of converting them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that - I CMD-C the original image and CMD-V it into the new document - would there be any converting? 

I've changed to Bicubic Auto and its the same. 

I think its possibly a resources issue but I cant work out why - 24gb RAM, 3.2 QC i5 - as when I paste it in, its fine and if I move the file using the cursors, it seems fine too. As soon as I CMD-T and move the file around with the mouse, I get the jaggies (but they're not in every part of the file - strangely). There is plenty of room in all the scratch disks and the HD isnt full. 

This iMac is plenty more powerful than the Macbook running the CC2017 but that works fine with the exact same files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I CMD-C the original image and CMD-V it into the new document«

You mean you copy in Illustrator and paste in Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - everything at this stage is in Photoshop. I open the first design PDF in PS, CMD-C and CMD-V into a new document in the same CMYK format and DPI but at whatever new size has been ordered. 

All within PS - its when I CMD-T and centralise the image within the new document that I seem to get the jaggies appearing or when I need to rectangular marquee and copy a section of the file to tile up but its not with every file (even though the same process has been used for 5 years without issue).

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I open the first design PDF in PS«

Unless the pdf was created with Photoshop and saved with »Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities« one does not »open« it in Photoshop as much as one »imports« it, meaning rasterizing the vector data (if the pdf contains vector data). 

Could you please post complete screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible with

• the original Layer 

• the Layer while transforming 

• after OK-ing the transformation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I think we're going down a bit of a rabbit hole here. 

I'll try a few performance things here and within PS and post an update when tested. I think its more of a resources issue than a specific file problem.

I'll have to use the CC2017 for now on the Macbook for work files and think of what to do with my CC subscription going forward as I cant use it for paid work.

Thanks again,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add a note to this thread if it helps anyone else out, I managed to downgrade from Catalina abck to Mojave and it has fixed all issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines