Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a .jepg in Photoshop

and save it with the option Save for web, I can choose the format .jpeg
But when I export it I get .jpg

I know that I can change it manualy.

But can I change a preference the way Photoshop will do it automatically ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use "Export As" and change the format there.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 11.43.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.jpeg and .jpg are interchangeable and all programs will read both and treat them identically. So it doesn't really matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.
But I get some .jpeg's from my iPhone.
I open them in Photoshop and PS makes an .jpg of it.
So I have to files and have to delete the .jpeg's

It would be nice that PS makes an .jpeg so I can replace them with the same name and extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AadMetz wrote:

I know.
But I get some .jpeg's from my iPhone.
I open them in Photoshop and PS makes an .jpg of it.
So I have to files and have to delete the .jpeg's

It would be nice that PS makes an .jpeg so I can replace them with the same name and extension

At the risk of quoting myself:

".jpg is standard extension and default for Photoshop, Bridge seems to like .jpeg which is a non-standard extension that I'd avoid."

You should make a new post as an "idea" (feature request) for a preference to use .jpeg rather than .jpg as the filename extension for save and export options in Photoshop.

While you are at it, you could also make a feature request for Bridge to do the same so that mismatched filename extensions can be avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.jpg is standard extension and default for Photoshop, Bridge seems to like .jpeg which is a non-standard extension (compared to photoshop) that I'd avoid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original file extension for the Joint Photographic Expert Group File Format was ‘JPEG’.

https://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG/jfif3.pdf

Apparently, it makes zero difference and due to legacy reasons, .JPG (three letters for Windows) or .JPEG (OK on Mac) is why we see the differences which again, don't matter.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed Andrew, however, the issue is that Photoshop uses a hard-coded .jpg extension which creates a duplicate file if the original asset opened into Photoshop used .jpeg. The expectation is to overwrite the original, not create a new file!

One has to manually enforce the .jpeg by overriding the default .jpg override extension and then one is presented with the following when using save as or save for web (legacy), for every single image saved as it doesn't offer a "don't show again" checkbox:

jpeg.png

That is fine for the legacy setting, however, the new export as command is even worse:

export-as-jpeg.png

There is no option to use .jpeg and overwrite, the only choice is to create a new file with .jpg or create a new file with a ridiculous double .jpeg.jpg extension.

Of course, Bridge creates files with a .jpeg extension, further compounding the issue in a cross-app workflow (either using export or the new workflow feature).

I recently wasted hours trying to make Photoshop scripting use .jpeg when saving or exporting, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't possible. An Adobe script could rename a file on-disk, or various operating system level scripts or apps could automate the rename from .jpeg to .jpg so that the files play nice with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines