• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just installed 24.0.1 and its really slow saving the PSD on save and close

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to the latest version and definitely seen some improvements but its much slower saving an edited picture.... The progress moves to 28% very quickly and then takes maybe twenty to thirty seconds to finish the rest....   Im on a 2019 Macbook Pro with plent of memory so cant see that this should be an issue and also it was definitely quicker using v 23. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Do you still have 23.x installed? Can you confirm it doesn't have this behavior on your system?

What do you have set for this option: 

JeffreyTranberry_0-1670862334699.png

If it's unchecked, try checking it and see if it performs the way you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving to?

Have you gone to Apple System Prefs/Security and Privacy and confirmed or added Photoshop to Full Disk Access list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , Im just saving to local Mac hard drive  ....... and Ive not had to do that before , but just incase I tried adding it as suggested and it makes no difference .....  The current time to save is now approx 50 sec....   previously on v23 it took around 20 secs which still I didnt think was that quick, but was possible to live with ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the image? What is your file size (MB/GB), what format are you saving, layers, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have 23.x installed? Can you confirm it doesn't have this behavior on your system?

What do you have set for this option: 

JeffreyTranberry_0-1670862334699.png

If it's unchecked, try checking it and see if it performs the way you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome.....  Im afraid I dont have v23 installed anymore , I guess I could do further investigation and see if its just these latest files ive been working on .     

But you are a genius.... setting the "disable compression" option means it saves in seconds lierally 2 seconds.  

The files Im editing usually end up with about four or five layers with the work I do for a typical edit and the stored PSD file ends up between around 1  to 1.6GB.   Using the option you just recommended the file size is larger but not significantly .... around 2GB .....

So this will great for me .....  

At some point Ill reinstall v23 and do some comparative times and play with and wothout this setting to compare it to v24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess was you had that setting checked in the prior version and not the current . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK ...soooooooo

Ive just reinstalled v23 and I get the same slow behaviour on the last few PSDs Ive been working with 

The older PSD from a couple of days ago dont show the slow behaviour in either v23 or v24 

Its very odd because the photos are all from the same shoot done  last week with same camera settings etc....

The disable compression option solves the issue on both versions but there must be something specific that is causing the issue more on the latest edits Im doing .....  

For the moment I can work with this disable compression option on and do more invesitigations later 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling compression is among the very first things I do with any new version, and for exactly this reason. Compression increases save/open times 5 - 10 x depending on layer structure. You can live with that for small files, but when you get into gigabyte file sizes, it becomes completely unbearable.

Uncompressed, the files are around 60 - 90 % bigger. But as I always say - if you worry about file sizes, you're in the wrong business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines