• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard Shortcut Problem/ Madness

Advocate ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain PS keyboard shortcut mess? There is a save, an accept, an oK.

Been using for 20 years, and still confused. And dropdown that says modified. Lost.

I always seem to lose my shortcuts, or have to redo some.

I lose shortcuts all the time, and all time shortcuts don't work thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry,

Not sure if I understand it correctly. Would you mind sharing some more details? You may check this article and let us know if it helps: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the link did not help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime you modify your keyboard shortcuts, use the button to the left of the trashcan to name and save the shortcuts to a new .kbsc file. That way you won't lose them if your settings go to default.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 3.46.37 PM.png

As for any changes in the dialogs, provide a screenshot to explain what you mean. We can help you a lot faster that way.

I use cmd-shift-4 to marquee select an area and save it as a image file which I upload to the forums using this icon:

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 3.53.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gener, I think I understood first sentence, so start with that.  Why do I have to create  and name a new file if I add a shortcut, just baffles me. Let's start with that.

With Excel , Word, or photoshop file you change something you just do command save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the first icon will do just that, update the modified file. I save a date-stamped copy for my own reference. I can send the dated copy off to someone else so we have the same shortcuts and it won't overwrite his or her file of the same (modified) name. Just  my own workflow. If it's not what you want, the first Save button will do. I hope that clears it up.

Another feature if you haven't used it already is the Summarrize button. Bojan explains it here:

https://youtu.be/Qr-weJ2sm2s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand then why I often seen word modeified then to my files.  I'm just clicking the buttons, and not doing a save as, so why often see modified.  Very annoying and confusing.  With Word, Excel you do save of file you don't see a modified attached to the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the keyboard editor again and I've noticed that changing or adding a keyboard shortcut and clicking Accept, then OK to close the dialog box changes the shortcut, but does not actally Save it to the modified file. That's why you get a reminder to Save if you switch keyboard sets. You'll lose all those shortcuts otherwise.

"Photoshop defaults" can be never be overwritten. It there if for some reason you want to start from scratch.

I hope this can make it much easier to understand:

https://www.howtogeek.com/731567/how-to-change-keyboard-shortcuts-in-photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so still completely confusted,  You have update, save, accept..

Is there someone there who can go over the flowchart?  And maybe get modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better explained below...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand the confusion...

Lets start from the beginning.

1.  Launch Photoshop with default shortcuts.
    1.png
  2.  Make all your changes to the shortcuts.
  3.  You may actually close the dialog and it will save as Photoshop Defaults (modified) - but they are not backed up or saved in any other way. If you reset your Preferences the changes to shortcuts will be lost.
  4. If you click the Button on the LEFT (with no dots under) it will ask to save file and it will UPDATE the file on disk, replacing the Defaults that were there. The Set: is now Photoshop Defaults (modified) 2.jpg
  5. Remember > There are no back ups at this time. If you reset your Preferences the changes to shortcuts will be lost. You could save these off to another disk, but they default to save in the USER folder on the opertaing system.
  6.  Next click on the RIGHT button (with dots under) it will ask where to save the shortcut file. I always save this to a place I can find again. I have a "Photoshop" backup folder that is on a separate disk for these types of files (or brushes, swatches etc.) 
     3.png

That is the workflow and I hope it makes better sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel thanks.  So I'll test this out.. Though I would like to start with a file that is in  already in the dropdoes with my name on it...  (though at this point, not sure if all my shortcuts over the years are in there, still better to start with that)

But the to add to the mess, above, you have 2-3 others things in the mix, accept, and Ok, and who knows what else.  What are all these for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would need to steps to know context to answer that question.

I understand it's tricky and that is why was trying to distill my steps to only what one would need.
🙂 

• One can always drag and drop or double click preset file to use your own keyboard short cuts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your post was great!  But I posted at beginning, part of what makes keyboard shortcuts a mess, is in addition to everything you posted, your workflow..

You fogot in incude in your flow chart the OK, and the Accept, What are those, do they contradict each other. Are they needed or just there for confusion?

ok and accept.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines