Exit

Photoshop Keyboard Shortcuts: 🔎 Quick Tip

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 

 

keyboard shortcuts header.jpg

Keyboard Shortcuts for Photoshop Desktop

Did you know Photoshop has a large list of keyboard shortcuts you can use to save time? These shortcuts are really handy and can save you from having to navigate the menus with multiple mouse clicks.  I've added some of my favorite basic shortcuts below, but you can check out the entire list to see which ones you want to use. You can even define custom shortcuts if you have the need: Customize keyboard shortcuts. To view, edit, and summarize keyboard shortcuts in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box, select Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts or you can use these keyboard shortcuts: Alt + Shift + Control + K (Win) or Option + Shift + Command + K (Mac).

If you want a PDF copy, you can download the full list of keyboard shortcuts here: Photoshop keyboard shortcuts PDF, or view the complete list online here: Photoshop keyboard shortcuts

Action Windows macOS
Default Foreground/Background colors D D
Switch Foreground/Background colors X X
Free Transform Control + T Command + T
Decrease Brush Size [ [
Increase Brush Size ] ]
New layer via copy Control + J Command + J
New layer via cut Shift + Control + J Shift + Command + J
Create new layer below target layer Control-click New Layer button Command-click New Layer button
Select top layer Alt + . (period) Option + . (period)
Move target layer down/up Control + [ or ] Command + [ or ]
Merge a copy of all visible layers into target layer Control + Shift + Alt + E Command + Shift + Option + E
Merge all visible layers to a new layer above the currently selected layer Alt + Merge Visible command from the Panel pop‑up menu Option + Merge Visible command from the Panel pop‑up menu
Cycle through hidden tools Alt-click + tool (except Add Anchor Point, Delete Anchor Point, and Convert Point tools) Option-click + tool (except Add Anchor Point, Delete Anchor Point, and Convert Point tools)
Brush tool B B
Pencil tool
Color Replacement tool
Mixer Brush tool
Eraser tool E E
Background Eraser tool
Magic Eraser tool
Rectangle tool U U
Ellipse tool
Polygon tool
Line tool
Custom Shape tool
Move tool V V
Artboard tool
Rotate the brush tip by 15 degrees Shift + Left Arrow (anti-clockwise), Shift + Left Arrow (anti-clockwise),
Shift + Right Arrow (clockwise) Shift + Right Arrow (clockwise)
Close all open documents other than the current document Ctrl + Alt + P Command + Option + P
Show/Hide Actions panel F9 Option + F9
Fill Shift + F5 Shift + F5
Cycle through open documents Control + Tab Control + Tab
Toggle between painting and erasing with the same brush  Hold down ` (grave accent) Hold down ` (grave accent)
Align type left, center, or right Horizontal Type tool + Control + Shift + L, C, or R Horizontal Type tool + Command + Shift + L, C, or R
Align type  top, center, or bottom Vertical Type tool + Control + Shift + L, C, or R Vertical Type tool + Command + Shift + L, C, or R

Keyboard Shortcuts for Photoshop on iPad

If you use a keyboard with photoshop on the iPad, you can use shortcuts there also! You can learn more here: Shortcuts for Photoshop on iPad. On the iPad, you can also use touch shortcuts and gestures. For more details, see: Touch shortcuts and gestures | Photoshop on the iPad.

To see the in-app keyboard shortcuts map on your iPad, go to App Settings From the Home screen and navigate to Input > View keyboard shortcutsFrom the editing workspace, go to  (PATTIE_F_0-1658777014238.png)  Help > View keyboard shortcuts. 

Action Keyboard shortcut (iPad)
Copy Command + C 
Copy content from all visible layers Command + Shift + C
Paste Command + V
Undo  Command + Z
Redo Command + Shift + Z
Move V
Transform N
Lasso L
Quick select W
Rectangular marquee M (Shift)
Elliptical marquee M (Shift)
Brush B
Eraser E
Paint bucket G (Shift)
Gradient G (Shift)
Spot healing brush J
Clone stamp S
Crop C
Type T
Eyedropper I
Use default foreground and background colors  D
Switch foreground and background colors  X
Brush size increase ]
Brush size decrease
Select All Command + A
Deselect Command + D
Reselect Command + Shift + D
Invert Selection Command + Shift + I
Next selection view F
Previous selection view Shift + F
Fill with the foreground color Option + Delete
Fill with the background color Command + Delete
Invert Command + I
Nudge 10 pixels at a time Shift + Arrow
Nudge 1 pixel at a time Arrow
Cycle to next blend mode Shift -
Cycle to previous blend mode Shift = 

To learn more about Photoshop in little bite-sized chunks, visit our Photoshop Quick Tips home page. It is loaded with tips, features, and projects you can try.

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, ces raccourcis ont décrits pour un clavier américain QWERTY,

Mais pour les claviers suisse romands sur macOS, les [] ne sont pas accessible, la barre oblique inverse est innaccessible etc.. ..
Merci de nous donner les équivallents avec nos claviers QWERTZ et AZERTY etc

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot,, helpfull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Pattie.  You always manage to find gems of useful tips and tricks for us.

Among my favourite Photoshop shortcut keys are the Function keys because most of them can be repurposed to run Actions.  I suspect that very few people use the Function key defaults, unless they use small screens and need to switch between panels, and single key shortcuts are are solid gold.  My most used run actions that select and reset workspaces because we are forever dragging panels to create screen shots for forum answers, and it is satisfying to tidy things up with a single key press.  

image.png

What makes this way more powerful is that we can save custom shortcuts along with custom toolbars with custom workspaces.  So when I need to use a shortcut defult I hit F6, which selects a modified Essentials workspace.  When done I hit F5 to go back to my multi-screen workspace. It's very satisfying, and must save a great deal of time if you use Photoshop regularly.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines