• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyframes option greyed out in timeline menu

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a basic animated gif and followed the tutorial online without a problem yesterday. Now when I try to "make frames from layers" I can't because half of the Timeline menu is greyed out including keyframes. I've created new files, restarted Photoshop and nothing makes a difference. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

The timeline in Photoshop can be started in two different formats :

1 A Video Timeline

2. A frame Animation timeline

Keyframes are seen the video timeline, Make frames from Layers is in a Frame animation timeline

Go back to the point where you create the timeline and choose which you want before starting the timeline

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Note after choosing the "Create Frame Animation" box becomes a button which you then need to click

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without more precise info nobody can really answer that. You have to be more specific about what you actually do in the document, the layer structure, your version of PS, other things.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The timeline in Photoshop can be started in two different formats :

1 A Video Timeline

2. A frame Animation timeline

Keyframes are seen the video timeline, Make frames from Layers is in a Frame animation timeline

Go back to the point where you create the timeline and choose which you want before starting the timeline

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Note after choosing the "Create Frame Animation" box becomes a button which you then need to click

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow. I was having the same issue/question. I would have NEVER known that "Create Frame Animation" was a button, and I've been using adobe products for 17 years! Thanks for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% Dave thank you!!! You explained this perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked perfectly for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, 

Doesn't speak well of my intelligence, but I have spent all day trying to figure out why part of the menu was greyed out. Read a dozen articles, tried a half dozen work-arounds. Then, then, I came upon your answer "box becomes a button" and hey, you are absolutely right. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines