• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keys and shortcuts stop working randomly

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to photoshop and honestly it has been irritating to the point where I am about to cancel everything. Randomly things have slowly stopped working. First it was my right clicking on an object to be able to see a menu that has scale, filter, etc.. on it, then there were other things I cannot remember and now all of a sudden using the lasso tool in the right layer, my **** delete button no longer deletes anyhting at all!! This program is absolutely unintuitive for any new users.

Is there a fix for all this stupidity?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well first off the right click menu is contextual (based on the context of what you are clicking on) and will change depending on what tool is selected in the tool panel.

And it looks like you have  two layers that are duplicates of the same image... so when you press delete.... it could be deleting from the top layer but its  still  visually  there  due to the duplicate  layer  underneath. And  your   other layers are locked so  if you try to delete them it will not work until its unlocked. 

Try learning more online. good luck

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I totally get that but moving through new files, my context menu should just not change randomly. All of a sudden this just happened to start doing exactly what it needed to do even with brand new projects. Now I am right back to nothing have context menus and only isolate layers on NEW files. This menu selection should not be at all the erratic. I do duplicate layers however, the layer under gets locked and hidden as I do my selection and editing and then copy those to a different layer and lock/hide the previous layer. Should I be doing this in a different way? This is what tutorials show and my menus never match no matter how well I follow the instructions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I delete all layers and just drop it down to one single layer, I still right click and it shows ONLY isolate layers with the move tool. The move tool with a right click should show me options of skew, rotate, etc... it does not.. one layer..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's literally like setting keep just randomly changing for no reason whatsoever, and i'm not the only person currently having issues with this in a community of 700k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@timothy24725237rybu wrote:

The move tool with a right click should show me options of skew, rotate, etc... it does not.. one layer..

To skew, rotate, et cetera with a right click, you need to first go to Edit > Free Transform (Ctrl+T). Right-clicking is contact sensitive and changes with the context.

You might start with Julianne Kost's Essestials of Photoshop on LinkedIn Learning. If you have never subscribed before, you can get a free month. Once you understand the basics of Photshop it will start to get easier for you. And ask here when you get stuck.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You only see Skew, Rotate options when you press Command +T (Ctrl+T PC) or Edit>Free Transform, then when you right-click it will show distort, skew, rotate, scale, etc.

Seems  like you just need to learn the program more. If  you need  an instructor... I can help!

Cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@timothy24725237rybu wrote:

I am new to photoshop

Is there a fix for all this stupidity?

You aren't stupid, you are just new to Photoshop. You'll get there after you've had some training and understand the basics. We were all beginners once. 

Best of luck, and we are here for you when you have questions.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's random and inconsistant, I'd be wondering about another app stealing focus for particular shortcuts.  Apps that I know can do this is nvidia's screen recording and Lazy Nezumi Pro, but theere will be others for sure.  If this is the cause then I imagine there would be some sort of pattern, like having other apps active.  If it is definitely inconsistant over short time periods, then it will be something else.

A lot of functions in Photoshop are context ensistive.  For instance, thee right click over an object needs the move tool to be selected.   The fact that you are new might be causing you to overlook some of these gotchas.   If the delete key is not doing anything, do you have the right layer selected? If you have an active selection, is there content in that selection on the selected layer?  

Do you know about panel options?  Several of the main panels have them, and they are accessed via the menu bars in the top right corner of the layer.  I mention this because it would be easier to make sense of your screen shot if the layer thumbnail is set to Large.

image.png

It seems likely that we can get to the bottom of your issue, so keep plugging away and I think we'll get it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines