• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lack of memory

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am already aware that my new laptop does not have a massive amount of built in memory, either Ram or system memory. But i am gradually now learning to identify which things i perhaps cannot do. For example the other day i attempted a project which involved first creating a new document, I then discovered that the settings given in the guidelines for the tutorial, width 2000 x height 2500 resolution 188 immediatly caused my memory to go into the red, so i now need to learn what is acceptable and also what are the implications of being forced to use lower settings.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

You have a preset there that is going to produce an insanely big file: 2000 x 2500 centimeters, at 120 pixels per centimeter. That's 300 000 pixels long side! That will bring anything other than an extremely high-speced machine to its knees instantly.

Anything over, say, 15 000 pixels would be considered a big file and you almost never need that in most practical situations. 300 000 is completely off the map.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am already aware that my new laptop does not have a massive amount of built in memory, either Ram or system memory. But i am gradually now learning to identify which things i perhaps cannot do. For example the other day i attempted a project which involved first creating a new document, I then discovered that the settings given in the guidelines for the tutorial, width 2000 x height 2500 resolution 188 immediatly caused my memory to go into the red, so i now need to learn what is acceptable and also what are the implications of being forced to use lower settings.

By @picmender

Could you add a screenshot in your answer with the exact specs of the new file: were 2000 and 2500 in pixels?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/maximum-image-size-limits-photoshop.html

(embed the screenshot by using the 11th icon on top of your writing space)

Which Elements version and how much RAM? In practice, you should not have any problem with 8 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am slightly embarressed because i have just replicated the first steps with no effect?? maybe something else had caused it, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post needs to be moved to the Photoshop forum.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i do that please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @picmender , your screenshots are from Photoshop CC.  This is the Photoshop Elements forum.  Since there are currently some issues with moving threads between forums, I am not going to move this one.  So please post in the Photoshop Ecosystem forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry i am fairly new to this i will move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a preset there that is going to produce an insanely big file: 2000 x 2500 centimeters, at 120 pixels per centimeter. That's 300 000 pixels long side! That will bring anything other than an extremely high-speced machine to its knees instantly.

Anything over, say, 15 000 pixels would be considered a big file and you almost never need that in most practical situations. 300 000 is completely off the map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well spotted Dag

@picmender  Using cm or inches instead of pixels when creating a new document is a common mistake but makes a massive difference to the size of the file and hence the size in memory.  What D Fosse has pointed out is that you are now using pixels but were previously using cm.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for that info, expert knowledge is what i sadly lack, i didnt realise when setting up the significance of the figs thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what was said by @D Fosse  and @davescm about using pixels instead of inches, the best canvas size to use depends on the finished product and what it will be used for.  If this is a print project, consult your print professional beforehand for detailed specifications about size, DPI, and color preset you should use. 

If your device is low on physical memory, get an external hard drive for additional scratch disk space.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say first that i am very inexperienced with both computers and photoshop. I have managed to set up a small scratch drive, however even though i have ticked on the scratch drive page of PS my system seems reluctant to use it.

Thank you everyone for the tips the next time it happens i will take some pics and send them in, when it happened the other day my system memory went into the red and yet i still had some memory available on the scratch drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" I have managed to set up a small scratch drive" Can you tell us what you did? Setting up a scratch drive normally means connecting an external disk, but these aren't usually small (in disk space).

Also, it's well worth learning the difference between memory and disk space. Similar, but very different. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i cleared one of my spare external hard drives which was 500 gb in size, in reality that gives me 430gb to use. I went into the preferences/scrstch discs in PS and selected it as well as the "C" drive which is my computer drive. 

Can anywhere i can find out more about memory and disk space please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that looks perfect. Except I wonder whether it would be better to stop using C altogether? I don't know the answer to that, perhaps someone can share their experience. It is important to keep SSD drives from getting full. (I found this problem only this week, not using Photoshop; an external SSD dropped to 1% of its normal speed, and this turned out to be because I had let it get too full. 

Let's see if I can summarise memory versus disk space. 

- Memory is the very, very fast place where apps run. It will be thousands of times quicker than disk or SSD. It is emptied each time you reboot or switch off. Another word for memory is RAM. Basic computers have as little as 4GB, and that's barely enough for Adobe apps to even start. (Partly because the system will already be using most of it). 

- Disk space is where you keep your files. It remembers things even when you switch off, of course. Big files are made by Photoshop to keep copies of all your history and stuff when you are editing, and these can be huge. Photoshop calls this a "scatch disk" but a better name would be "disk where Photoshop keeps temporary files". It's still usually called disk space, even when you have an SSD - which isn't a disk at all! Some call it storage, but this starts to get confusing. 

To find out how much memory (RAM) you have in Windows 10, right click on the Start button and choose SYSTEM. You see something like this:

TestScreenName_0-1634378555200.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for the excellent help, i really find it very helpful , i have checked and it shows 8.00 GB (7.36 GB usable)  thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines