Lagging and Glitching in Photoshop 23.1.1

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a severe lag anytime I upload any of my images (this didn't happen about a month ago) Anytime I hover or click on any of my tools there is constant glitching. This is especially severe if I am working on an image with brushes and try to make changes or change tools. If I click to use a different tool it will freeze the program for over 10 seconds, sometimes I have to click off screen to get it to "unfreeze" 
I upgraded my entire computer yesterday, which helped the lag a little bit, but the glitching still appears and it still lags. I also reinstalled the entire program, so I am at a loss. I think this is an Adobe issue

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022
Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let's get back to a known state:

Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't solve the issue, unfortunately. Still the same. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problems as above and tried the disabling of the Native Canvas but it didn't make much of a change.  Still 2-4sec lag from mouse click.  I just purchased a mega-fast iMac (in Dec) and really find this frustrating.  (I'm also having a similar problem in AE).  I think I read somewhere about disabling a graphics card?  Here's the specs.

Any help would be appreciated.  For now I have reinstalled the previous version which works great.

Thanks!

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac20,2

Processor Name: 10-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 10

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 20 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 128 GB

System Firmware Version: 1715.40.15.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10548.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 540.40.4~45

AMD Radeon Pro 5700:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5700

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 8 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x731b

Revision ID: 0x0040

ROM Revision: 113-D1820Q-231

VBIOS Version: 113-D182A2XG-013

Option ROM Version: 113-D182A2XG-013

EFI Driver Version: 01.01.231

Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! That seems to have worked! Thank you so much!
Can you explain to me why/how that made a difference? I don't recall
messing with any of those functions before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling this forces Photoshop to use the deprecated OpenGL and OpenCL code paths. Photoshop has modernized to use the the modern OS native graphics acceleration API (Metal on macOS and DX12 on Windows). Your card is probably aging and doesn't fully support the modern API. Might be time to upgrade hardware.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@kaitikat , if you have upgraded to the latest version of Photoshop (Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.3.2), try re-enabling the native canvas; we made some progress supporting older AMD GPUs and that switch may no longer be necessary for you. Would appreciate hearing back if this works, either way.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines