• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lasso Tool Lines not showing as I'm selecting

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated Photoshop CC to the newest version (20.0) on Friday and now every time I try to use my lasso tools the lines do not appear as I'm drawing to see what I'm about to select. It's acting the same for the lasso, polygonal lasso, and magnetic lasso tool. I've reset the tools, reset all Photoshop settings in my performance tabs and all. What am I missing? Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Hi

If you uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" you will lose some functionality in Photoshop that requires a GPU

More info

Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ

Have you tried updating your GPU driver from the manufacturers website, you could also try setting the Drawing Mode to Basic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone, look at Nicholas Avallone's post. This is the easiest fix—do not mess with your Graphics Processor preferences.

Adobe: This fixes the issue, but the bug will persist without an update from you. Please take note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidmoore20  wrote

Adobe: This fixes the issue, but the bug will persist without an update from you. Please take note.

Hi

This is a user forum so you're not really addressing Adobe here, bug reports can be posted here

Photoshop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. After a search on support, this is what Adobe has on this issue: Known issues in Photoshop CC

Their workaround is:

Open an RGB document in Photoshop. The tools will now work correctly on all documents for the rest of the session. Repeat this workaround when you launch Photoshop again.

Although I do like kimpeters #3 band-aid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the plethora of helpful advice listed here, I just did a few tests with the lasso tool. I'm using CC 20.0.4.

Choose the one that suits your needs best:
1) With graphic processor set to Normal and/or Advanced (and all items within checked on) - No ants on a CMYK doc.  FAIL.

2) With graphic processor set to Normal and/or Advanced: Open RGB 1st (yes ants), closed then opened a CMYK doc 2nd, Yes ants - BAND-AID #1 (only caveat is remembering to open an RGB doc at each startup. Annoying for those of us in the print world)

3) Graphics processor set to Normal but unchecked off the Anti-Alias Guides and Paths; Opened a cmyk doc 1st. Yes Ants - - BAND-AID #2 (I like this one best, because I don't have to remember any extra steps.)

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hats off to you, Nicholas, my friend. The graphics card is NOT the solution for everyone. Proper programming on Adobe's part would be. I don't know how you figured this out, but thank you. I had to help a friend via screenshare with this problem. I rarely use CMYK in my workflow. (thank you for the heavy lifting, separation houses.)

SHAME on Adobe for not fixing this properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a genius! Congratulations on the tip! Could you share how you discovered this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! I was pulling my hair out and the RGB thing worked - even though it makes no sense whatsoever! A thousand thank yous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here; job required CMYK, which I never use, switched modes and my selecton lines as-I-selected weren't showing. Switch the mode back to sRGB and there they are! (still leaves the horrid uncertainty of retaining your colours accurately when you do the mode change back at the end of the job though) (psd2019)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue:

Photoshop CC (v20.0.4)

iMac 5K 27" 2017 with Radeon Pro 580 8Gb on High Sierra (10.13.6)

I found if I visited the Performance tab of the preferences, and from the Advanced Settings section of the Graphics Processor Settings Unchecked "Anti-Alias Guides and Paths" I got my marquee back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping the "Advanced" setting but unchecking "Anti-Alias Guides and Paths" seems to work for me. Restarting Photoshop between changes. Let's see if it sticks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked "Use Graphics Processor" before reading on. When I saw that it could cause Photoshop to behave erratically I went back and rechecked it thinking that I would need to find another solution. Just the act of unchecking and rechecking the button seems to have. fixed the problem. I rebooted Photoshop in between.

Update: The problem returned. I switched drawing mode to "Basic" and that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to implement your fix using Edit>Preferences>Performance, but the resulting dialog box does not look like the one you posted, nor does it have the USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR or ADVANCED GRAPHICS PROCESSOR SETTINGS control.

I took a screen shot of my dialog box, but I can't load that into this reply, either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying ALL of these suggestions with no luck, (Lasso tool would work, but not magnetic or polygonal), I realised it was a problem with my Wacom tablet. Still not sure how to fix it, but at least it works on the normal trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for many years on new photoshops I have to keep reverting to Photoshop elements but I gave the new photoshop a go as I needed the new features as my projects demanded it.

I use the selection tool (the pen tool isn't a good substitute for the method I use) the most out of any tool and have the problem where I am selecting something and suddenly the next line will disappear and is very annoying. 

After trying several methods to fix it from this thread and others across the web nothing worked. 

I recently bought a Pen Graphics tablet and have found if I hold down the stylus on the screen when the error occurs it refreshes the tool and it works at least until the next time it happens then I repeat and continue with my lines. 

I hope this problem is solved soon so I don't have to use this work around but for now I can continue working with this method. 

Not the desired fix but the only work around that seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi im using Photoshop cc20 whenever i use lasoo tool Photoshop gone to crashed. Can any body help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines