• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lasso tool selecting nothing and transform tool not working - photoshop for ipad

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started using Photoshop for the ipad and all the tools work fine, however, there seems to be a problem with the lasso tool.

I can draw around parts of a layer and select it. I can then move it around as I want - however, if I then try to transform that particular selected part, nothing happens.

The marching ants effect is there, and that resizes or rotates (whatever I want to do) but the actual part of the image it has selected, does nothing. (video attached to show what I mean)

I've looked everywhere for similar problems, thinking maybe there's something I'm missing, but cannot find any answers.

I even deleted the app and reinstalled.

My ipad is an ipad pro, versian 14.4.2

And Photoshop is versian 2.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Hi @sleyf 

Here's what's going on:

You clicked "Transform Selection" and the selection marquee is being transformed, or fine-tuned.

To transform the pixels, use the Transform tool in the toolbar (red arrow). These are two separate settings, and it is the same in Photoshop for desktop.

No, updating is not the right solution here, and it is two separate Tools with different purposes. On PS for desktop, Edit menu > Free Transform (Cmd+T) is for pixels while Select menu > Transform is for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you please try installing the latest version of Photoshop for iPad which is 2.6 and let us know if that helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

(The update only just showed up in the Apple Store for me)

Unfortunately it hasn't solved the issue, transform is still not working when I lasso a section, it works on the entire image if I just use the transform option, but not if it's selected with the lasso 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since your question is about Photoshop for iPad, I have moved this from the Photoshop forum where you posted to PS for Mobile.

Because you posted a video, I couldn't quite see what is on each layer.

• Can you confirm you are on the right layer?
  • For testing purposes, can you try the Lasso tool with Transform on another file?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Jane,

Thanks, I wasn't sure if 'mobile' was just referring to the phone app or not, so just posted on the safest bet.

I was on the same layer as the lines, but I tried in a different file as you suggested and will attach a screenshot and video. It still doesn't appear to be working - although the transform tool works on its own on the entire layer, it just doesn't work if a part of it is selected with the lasso.

I've attached a screenshot to confirm layer selection

And a video for transdorm on its own, and trying to transform while a section is selected.

I also recently updated on suggestion of a colleague of yours, to v.2.6 which didn't solve the issue. I'm unsure if I'm using the tool wrong, but that's how I've used it for years on desktop Photoshop with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sleyf 

Here's what's going on:

You clicked "Transform Selection" and the selection marquee is being transformed, or fine-tuned.

To transform the pixels, use the Transform tool in the toolbar (red arrow). These are two separate settings, and it is the same in Photoshop for desktop.

No, updating is not the right solution here, and it is two separate Tools with different purposes. On PS for desktop, Edit menu > Free Transform (Cmd+T) is for pixels while Select menu > Transform is for the selection marquee.

I hope this helps.

~ Jane

1D0BFAE3-4B5E-418A-9F53-884ED025F18A.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh!
Thanks so much, I was so frustrated for so long!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @sleyf , and I'm glad this is solved for you!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines