Latest version of Photoshop 23.5.1 - Crashing Sept 15, 2022 - Had to go back to previous

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop update I just installed on my machine for Windows 10 crashing crashing crashing every time I try to use the crop tool or the lasso tool. Just hangs and then down. No way to get a log of it or send a report. Had to go back to the previous version. (23.5) I updated my Nvidia driver after Photoshop started crashing. No help. 

Two versions ago, it was the Marquee tool. Now it's the crop and lasso tools. What is the problem now?

Windows 10 OS version 19044.2006

Event viewer: 
Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 23.5.1.724, time stamp: 0x631947fb
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, time stamp: 0xfe96c48e
Exception code: 0xc0000374

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your Creative Cloud Desktop app, click on three dots on the right side of app in question then select Other versions.

roll back photoshop.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already did that. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So problem is solved?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really consider it solved, no. I went back to the previous version. That's not really the best option in the long run. It hasn't really solved the initial problem . Someday I will have to install another version to keep up with upgrades. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had exactly the same issues on my Win10 machine with the two latest updates and had to revert back to a previous version. That's not "solving the issue" as I am paying for the application, expecting updates to work. :)) Do you have any ideas on what is causing the crashes when using the crop an lasso tools? I really would like to use the latest version of Photoshop - mostly because of the Neurals. :))

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out my previous problems (marquee tool)  were fixed by turning off the "present syncing" setting in Preferences. Luckily, you can still keep your appdata under your username and not sync to the cloud. So that's an OK workaround. I've never used the cloud, anyway. 

I've not quite narrowed down the issue with the lasso tools, but I was at first suspicious of a recent update to Windows 10 because if you look at my event viewer under applications (I posted it in my original post here), you can see it has to do with the NTOS kernel somehow. That makes no sense though now because I went back to the previous version and all is cool. So, it's the latest Photoshop update. Somehow it has decided not to play nice with Windows and just give us random things to make it crash. 

As soon as I find out what it is, I'll be right back here to post. 

Lynne

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was supposed to say: "Preset Syncing" in Preferences > General. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm pretty sure I found a fix for Windows users: 

On September 13, Microsoft sent out an update and in that update was a file that allows the OS to talk to applications. The crashing with Photoshop got worse. Nothing was working. 

I looked in the Event Viewer and found a message that referred to a system file called ntdll.dll - I've seen problems with this file for years. It always gets corrupted.

1. Type cmd in the search window (bottom left)

2. Choose run as administrator when the command shell pops up

3. Make sure you're at c:\windows\system32

4. Type: sfc /scannow

Let it run. It will find corrupt dlls and other system files and fix them. It takes awhile. 

That should take care of the problem.

I'll let you know when I'm sure. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines