• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer exists but I can't change it. selection exists in layer, i can change it, its layer doesn't

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS CC 2015 Win.

analog image opened as smartobject, 16bit.

I attached a current state of the effort as it pertains to the request.

what i did so far:

I selected a portion of the loaded image, then added a brightness/contrast layer.  made some b/c adjustments. Didn't like the results.

In the past, since I'm ignorant, I would just delete the layer and re-do the selection, re-add the layer.

Tired of doing that,  is there a more elegant way to accomplish this?

I found the Show->Layer edge and the option for extending the selection.

I extended the selection but it doesn't seem  "attached" to the original layer mask (its outside the layer borders). 

I thought no biggie, let me try continuing to adjust the b/c now that I've got an extended selection.

When I click/left or right the b/c layer (any part of it including the thumbnails) I don't get the dialogue for sliding B&C.

I've searched and reviewed helpx subjects but they all seem to be, mostly, refine edge.  Not extend edge, and maintain layer integrity.

Can anyone help or point me at a specific helpx?  thanks.

I found the Show->Layer Edge (blue line).

I also found the option for ?extending selection (I can't spot it now). 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might be confusing Layer Masks and Selections. 

If you want to apply the current Selection as the new Layer Mask delete the existing one (Layer > Layer Mask > Delete) and apply it (Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection). (Naturally that’s also possible via the Layers Panel.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines