Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Mask and Original Image

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm a newbie. I was following a YouTube video to remove halos from subjects. I took the base image (stacked photo of a screw), created a selection within it (screw only) and then created a layer mask from that selection. I guess they call that a quasi cutout. So I have the Layer Thumbnail and the Layer Mask Thumbnail side by side (file attachment). My mask is as I want it but now all I seem to have is the subject against a transparent background (file attachment). How do I merge the two so that I have my masked subject with the original background from the initial image? Thanks for your help!

See images below...

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you have only one layer and one layer mask on it. Black on mask is hiding so you see transparency because there is nothing below. If you want subject isolated and original below do the following:

• Select layer in the Layers panel
  • Duplicate using Ctrl + J
  • Select bottom layer and disable or delete layer mask. You should see background now but keep in mind that below layer contains object that is isolated on layer above. Another option is to invert layer mask on bottom layer instead of disabling/deleting it. 
  • If this explanation does not help please explain further what is your end goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, this is wonderful advice and thanks for dumbing it down so that I
understand the problem.

Regards,

Paul MacDonell
[personal information removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines