• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer mask icons have yellow or pink as the colour for an empty mask

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From time to time, seemingly at random, my layer masks (P'shop 22.4.2, Mac 10.14.6) have yellow or pink as the colour for an empty mask. There's a screenshot attached.

The tool cursor icons also pick up the same colour. It doesn't seem to affect the performance or result but I wonder if it may be a problem and if anyone knows what's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would have to be some display rendering issue. Layer mask are gray scale channels there are only 8bit  values for a shade of gray.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack. I'm sure that's right and it is a display rendering issue. But what is that issue? Is it in P'shop, the way I am using it or in my Mac? Does it matter? Can I fix it?

David Hoffman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens randomly so I could try this next time I see it - though the restart itself may clear it anyway. I'll have to work for a while with GPU performance off and see if it shows up. I'll post again  if this makes a change but it may be a while.

David Hoffman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly looks like a screen redraw/driver issue.

(Yay, Apple video drivers and not being able to control them!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off »Use Graphics Processor« slows things down too much too work with. I didn't see the coloured layyer mask icons while it was off but it onlyyyyy happens 5-10% of the time so I can't tell if the change was the reason. I'll just keep going and see if it goes away or develops into something that is more easily diagnosed.

For some reasons the 25th letterz in the alphabet isn't working in this reply! I love tech life...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.

To explain my "For some reasons the 25th letterz in the alphabet isn't working in this reply! I love tech life..."

The letter y isn't seen in my display here while writing but has appeared in the actual post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by the driver; Mac users have been complaining here for awhile about such issues. It's surprising to me but what gets me is that you guys have no control over it; you're at the mercy of Apple and its driver updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines