Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Mask Suddenly Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been using PS 6 for several months now, with no problems; I totally love it!  I tend to do a lot of heavily composited photos, so I use layer masks a lot.  All of a sudden this afternoon, they aren't working.  I am 100% sure I am selecting the mask itself and not the layer (paint colors change to only black and white with the slider).  My opacity and flow are both at 100.  I am using just a standardsoft-edged paint brush.  I paint on back, and nothing changes. 

What's weird is if I invert the layer mask and paint white on, that will show up.  But if I switch over to black again, it won't make anything disappear.

I'm so perplexed by this; I've never had an issue like this before!

Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

This is SO weird.   I was setting things up to do a screen capture for you and it just as suddenly started working again.  I didn't change a thing, haven't closed or opened it; nothing.  So I have absolutely no idea.  But I'm going to just go with it as long as it decides to work

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I am now having this same issue with photoshop 2020. When I use CS6 to composite and image, I am able to paint black onto my white layer mask. But when I use Photoshop 2020 it does not allow my brush to paint black. I reset the brush tool preferences, the layer mask itsef is selected. I THINK the blend mode was set to normal (but I'm not 100% so I can check that again). How do I fix this so the brush tool will paint with black? Also where do I find the blend mode for the brush in photoshop 2020 so I can check if it's normal?

I hope someone can help me, mainly because this error happened when I was teaching a student. I have another lesson with them in 3 days and I'm hoping we can resolve it by then. They use Photoshop 2020, and I use cS6. So for my demo I was able to show them what to do but then they could not follow along. So embarrassing and frusterating. Wondering if their version is perhaps corrupted even? We reset all the tool preferences too! I feel stumped but I know there must be something I can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem since updating to Photoshop 2022!

Colour is solid black 0R 0G 0B

Brush is set to Normal, Opacity 100% Flow 100%

Mask Channel Opacity is 100%

BUT...

Masking ends up looking transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in PS2022 and have no idea how to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Sarah, I was having the same problem after focus stacking multiple images. I could not edit my individual layer masks. All the normal "culprits" checked out. Was on layer mask, brush set to the correct color (white), normal blending mode, 100% opacity, etc. In the end I gave up and decided to safe my work and just open it again. Bingo- now my brush worked as expected. I did  not  change anything besides saving and reopening my drawing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines