Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

layer masks; what am i doing wrong

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good morning. I am trying to learn and apply layer masks but nothing seems to work. i have a 3 layer file. i am trying to apply a mask to an element in one of the layers. I make that layer active, hit create layer mask button and make sure that the layer thumbnail is active. I select brush, and brush over the element I want to mask, making sure  the opacity is at 100% . nothing happens when i brush over the desired object. nothing appears in the mask thumbnail, and nothing happens to any layers in the file. They are all the same. What exactly am I doing wrong? I have check adobe and a bunch of youtube videos but nothing seems to help. Can anyone give a  clue as to what I am missing? this is getting pretty frustrating. Thank you in advance

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that you select the mask thumbnail before drawing. Also make sure that the brush options are good.
If you can share a screenshot with us for the layer mask, it will be more helpful. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ed5CC4 wrote:

nothing appears in the mask thumbnail, and nothing happens to any layers in the file.

You might be painting with white on white or black on black.

• Before you start, type "D", which is the shortcut to switch to the default colors of pure black and pure white.
  • Create the mask and look at it. Is it white? Then you want to start painting with black.
  • Select a brush and choose a hardness/softness and a size.
  • In the options bar, change the brush mode to "Normal" if it is something else.
  • Select the mask (not the image) and paint. Use Undo if you need to change the settings of the brush.
  • Type "X" to switch the colors.

Does this help?

If not, show a screenshot including the Brush options bar and Layers panel.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice already!  I will add that on numerous occasions I've had an active selection that was hidden keep me from successfully painting on a mask.  If I'm having trouble working on a mask, I always press Ctrl + D to clear any active selections first.

Good luck!

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@George_F 

I'm glad you saw that, and thanks for sharing that important detail!

I almost added: make a selection first, then add the mask. The selection will be replaced by the mask and in most cases a lot of your work will be done. 

Are you the same user as the author @Ed5CC4  or are you adding on to the thread?

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are separate users, just weighing in with what causes me grief with masks from time to time 🙂

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines