• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer transform are not applied to smart object. How to do it?

Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I am unable to solve an issue . I have not found any tutorials or hint how to do it. or it is impossible, or it is so easy that it is right in front of my nose and I dont see it.

I want to make an mock up and smart objects are driving me crazy.

For example, I have a frame on a wall. I make a selection of the inside of the frame, duplicate and convert to a smart object. So every time I want to put a picture inside the frame I open the smart object paste the image ,close it save and done. The image is inside the frame.

But what I cannot figure out is if i change the layer. Say I rotate from vertical to horizontal. Or I distort the frame to make it longer or more square...when I open the smart object the changes have not ben replicated there. So if I rotate the frame to make it vertical from horizontal when i open the smart object (frame interior) it is still vertical.

Why is this happening. It should go along the layer and not be affected at all. This is really weird. Any solution to this?

Thank you

Cristian

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes and transformations are applied to the Smart Object container, not the contents inside.

You would transform the Smart Object layer in your main document, then double-click to edit the Smart Object contents.

Those contents should be in the original state (not transformed) so you can paste a new flat image and save.

When you return to your main document the transformation is still applied to the container, and the contents show properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin. I am a little confused about this. Yes I see that the contents inside the smart object do not change (which is not very smart ) why would anyone change the smart object container and have does changes not applied inside the smart object? It is really weird.

So far my solution has been to rasterize and then convert to smart object again. This is ok if inside the smart object(container) there is only a single layer(the frame) but if inside there is a mat for example for the photo rasterizing destroys all the work done with the mat (same if i have fx applied inside)

I got lost when you say" you can paste a new flat image and save.". If I have rotated the smart object (container) and if I double click inside no changes have been saved to the transform I did. And worse yet if I do a change inside object then this one gets replicated in the container. So it is only one way to do changes As far as I understand you have to do the changes inside the smart object (for example rotate) and then those get replicated to the container but this does not work the other way around. You rotate the container layer and also the inside of the smart object gets rotated.

This is really confusing. By intuition, you should expect that it does not matter if you change the container or the inside of the smart object. They are connected and any change in one or the other should replicate so they always have the same parameters.

It is very strange to have changed the container to horizontal. Double click and the inside is vertical . It would be great like it would be a tool like the link layers where you could tell make the container and the containing object go together , linked.

Thanks for your support

Cristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they both changed, what would be the purpose of having a smart object in the first place? None whatsoever. Think about this once more. Kevin is spot on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A smart object main purpose is that any editing done can be reversed or changed at any time without being destructive to the layer. 

If I want it to function as an independent layer I would just create another layer and even those can be linked as with a clipping mask.

What I find really weird is that if you transform a layer the content of it does not change, and you have to make it separately. Not logic at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Think of the Smart Object layer as a filter. You are applying it over top of your image, leaving your original image untouched and available to revert or continue editing without flattening the effect. Smart Objects are protective containers allowing you the freedom to manipulate images or groups of images in a non-destructive way.

That is what makes it "Smart".

Always transform the container, not the contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines