• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers after 2021 disappearing

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The content on layers that i try moving together seems to disappear. 

I select 2 or three layers together and then try moving them and teh content on the layers either disappears or gets the left half cut off when you drag the layers with move tool. You still have the red guides showing what you are moving but the content / images are not visible. Only way to get them visiible again is to click on the hide/show layer eye icon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

So after trying many fixes with making changes to various preferences and other settings I took the annoying path to reset all warnings and all preferences back to default. Before that I made sure to make a note of every preference I had set up so I could restore them.

Thankfully this seems to have fixed the issue of layer content disappearing. Weirdly though I've restored all my previous settings and the problem has not returned. I can only assume that there is very poor QA in terms of updating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 22.5.1.  If I try to move a layer than has anything clipped to it, it will disappear.  If I toggle any of the layers off and on it will reappear.  I can also unclip any layers in order to move the main layer. This is quite inconvenient though.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I also find it the layer has added features like styles, clipped, in a group it disappears when moving. I have adapted and now if I must add style or anything i convert the layer to smart object and that seems to fix the problem. And again this only issue on my IMac not my MacBook which is strange. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, just updated from 2019 as I figured there must be some nice improvements in Photoshop by now, but all i'm getting is bugs. 

Same issue as everyone else, masked layers acting weird and not displaying correctly and any layer with a Layer Effect when being moved around by the Move tool will have its content disappear until i toggle the layer visiblity off and on again!

For many situations this makes Photoshop practically unusable and just wastes stupid amounts of my time.

To hear this bug was found well over a year and half ago and not fixed is maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Noisecrime I keep an old version of PS on my 2015 iMac my 2018 MacBook the latest 2022 PS works fine. My theory is adobe wont fix it cause it seems to only happen on older Macs. That group of people doesn't measure up to them putting the time and money into fixing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after trying many fixes with making changes to various preferences and other settings I took the annoying path to reset all warnings and all preferences back to default. Before that I made sure to make a note of every preference I had set up so I could restore them.

Thankfully this seems to have fixed the issue of layer content disappearing. Weirdly though I've restored all my previous settings and the problem has not returned. I can only assume that there is very poor QA in terms of updating and checking preference settings between version updates as something was causing this that a full reset fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh MAN!!!! YOU DID IT!! Thank you SO MUCH! Hahah- Now I don't have to enable transform every time I want to move something! You are a friggin' life saver! Cheers @NoiseCrime 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noisecrime I reset everything last night first time I checked box to reset and restarted. That didn't work but holding Ctr alt option while starting did work. I'm still not 100% sure cause I added couple layers with styles and it worked. Today I will do some heavy lifting where I have 20 or more layers with drop shadows and if that works then I will sigh with relief. 
thanks so much for posting your results to this feed. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super annoying and now I can consistantly reproduce this with a specific set of conditions.  it only seems to happen to Smart Objects when they are inside of folders on the layer panel, and when they are above other layers.  Here's a screen recording that demonstrates this.  Very strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same thing happening, and I came here for support only to find that the issue has sadly gone unfixed. I was working on another project where the detail on all the images were tuned up and the designer was working with everything in 32-bit mode. This of course makes some of the tools break or become unusable with a little pop-up that tells you it doesn't work on that bit mode. That got me thinking. I went back to an image I was having this problem with. I tried again, same problem, then I switched to 16-bit mode, and the issue went away.

TL;DR Try 16-bit mode. "Edit > Mode > 16 bits/channel" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines