• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers get cropped when moved to other artboard?

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've got a document in Photoshop 23.2.2 and I'm seeing some perplexing behavior.  I don't know if something's corrupt or there's a setting somewhere that I should know about.

I've got a document with several, differently sized artboards. If I duplicate a layer from one artboard so it appears in one of the others, it appears there, as intended. But however the layer appears cropped in the new artboard, it treats it as really cropped. Like if I move it, it won't show the full object on the layer, just the part that had initially appeared, cropped. Missing the part I'm trying to bring into the artboard. I can overcome this by moving the layer up or down in the layer stack in the layers palette. Then the full object on the layer appears again. This is a klunky workaround. What am I missing here?

Thanks if you've any clues!

best,
kurt

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Does this also apply to Smart Objects? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure. I duplicated an artboard, and on the lower one, I moved the art up. And you'll see in the first screenshot how it appears cropped at the bottom. But in the second screenshot you see the lower artboard's art be uncropped.

You know what fixed it this time? Taking the screenshot! It's like it's not refreshing unless forced. it's weird.

I'd mention that this is Day 2 of me using my new Mac Studio M1, which in general has been behaving wonderfully with Adobe apps, very very fast. But i wonder if this is a bug.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps yes, it happens equally with smart objects and rasterized objects. In this example, they're all smart objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot seem to immediately reproduce the issue. 

How exactly do you proceed with the duplication? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happens two ways:

Layer palette: select layer: Duplicate layer...: select destination (picking name of artboard from dropdown)

or:

Layer palette: Select artboard: Duplicate artboard. When art layer on new artboard is moved, same thing happens.

I'm not having the problem in another document...hm (corrupt document? too complex document?). Weird. It was doing in consistently in this document (I had to make 8 versions of this ad, had them all on different artboards in one document and the problem was happening with every one of them). That's why i wondered if I'd somehow changed a setting inadvertantly or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Layer Style seems to make the difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!

That's quite right, when I turn off the Drop Shadow, the problem goes away. and then i can turn it back on when it's in its new position. And then i can turn it off again if i need to move it a bit. Then i can do that five more times as I try to tweek the layout....

am i wrong to think that seems like a bug? I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Does turning on »Deactivate Native Canvas« (Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

But basically I agree that this seems like the unexpected and unintended behaviour that might deserve the term. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines