• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting Effects is rendering images as pure black

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems when saving images with the Lighting Effects filter. I can see the image at a certain distance but when I zoom in, try to save the file or open the file again, the image looks pure black. How can I fix it? It has never happened to me before the update to 2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the Lighting Effects filter. With the dialog open, press and hold the Alt or Option key on your keyboard.

The Cancel button will change to Reset. Click on Reset and wait. Lighting Effects should return to its defaults.

Let me know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help but it didn't make it work. I have the latest graphics card drivers. So, I don't know why that happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then go into Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, checkmark Legacy Compositing. Restart Ps and let me know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it keeps happening. The only way I made it work is to convert the image first into a smart object, then apply the filter and then rasterizing the layer. It was the only thing that worked. But there has to be a solution to just apply it to a normal layer without that glitch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might leave this one to a more experienced team, I can suggest Adobe's own tech support chat.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me for the same issue but with the 2020 version thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very happy to hear you can use the lighting tools. Adobe still has not addressed this problem. They say nothing in these forums and discussion groups.

Best, Martin

Martin R. Mendelsberg
Designer and Educator
2422 So. Newberry Ct.
Denver, CO 80224 USA
303.759.9226 | studio
720.299.8698 | mobile

learn more: Google me
http://martin-mendelsberg.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the job for me, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... was working just fine before the last upgrade...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem for several months now. It seems that the 21.0.2 version was more stable about that problem than the latest 21.0.3 and 21.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is a known bug, that Adobe will hopefully fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you flatten the image...make sure you UNLOCK the background image before you try to apply the filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on the phone six times with Adobe CC 2020, each time I explained the same problem. Each tech took me through a number of fixes that did not work. Adobe finally told me that the lighting filter does not work and they are working on it. I also repeated myself six times explaining that the same thing happened with the release of CC 2019 which you are using. They could save customers time and trouble by simply stating they are attempting to fix the lighting filter. I have found one way to get the filter to work: Save your file, then quit and RESTART Photoshop. No tech told me this. You will loose your history however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello In case you experience the same in CC 2020, make sure to update to 21.1.1 / its release notes lists the black lighting effects as being fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.5 (and pervious 23) Adobe removed 3D and Render Lighting Effects. Lighting has been a very important part of my profession work, I cannot understand why lighting effects have been removed, it is a separate technology from 3D effects. I will not upgrade to 23.5, I am forced to use earlier versions. I'm hoping non-Adobe people will offer a plugin soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, prior to the arrival of 3D in Photoshop, Render Lighting used to be a separate technology.

With the arrival of 3D circa CS5, the render lighting filter was updated to make use of "real 3D" light behavior. 

I would recommend to check the help document about 3D, https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html and maybe post a separate thread in the ideas section higlighting why render lighting is necessary in your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines