• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting Effects Not Working 22.4.2

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lighting effects (Render > Lighting Effects) does not work properly - changing the values does nothing and when you select "OK" it just renders the artwork to grey. Also, the manual adjustment rings are not displaying. 

I have tried Preferences > Technology Previews > "Deactivate Native Canvas" as well as "use Graphics Processor" under Preferences > Performance multiple times and restarting photoshop. It worked once now not at all. I need Light Effects for an urgent job - I have also tried a different Mac and it's the exact same. Both running OS Big Sur 11.4. Is this a bug with the new release? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Thank you @jane-e - I had done this but found the following on a similar post and this has now solved the issue: 

Hold down the following keyboard shortcut and launch Photoshop:

• macOS: command + option + shift / / Windows: ctrl + alt + shift
  • open Photoshop
  • click Yes in the dialog that asks "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Now with "Deactivate Native Canvas" checked it is working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific Mac are you running on? What is the graphics card? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. I've tried on 2 macs - one is a MB Pro 2017, Intel Graphics 630 1.5GB and one is an iMac 2019 with Radeon Pro 555X 2 GB - these are the values from "About this Mac". I've uninstalled and re-installed photoshop on the macbook, but it's the still same. If I use Light Effects once, it is then greyed out in the menu when I try again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @PrunusAv18 

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews > enable "Deactivate Native Canvas", then relaunch Photoshop. 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @jane-e - I had done this but found the following on a similar post and this has now solved the issue: 

Hold down the following keyboard shortcut and launch Photoshop:

• macOS: command + option + shift / / Windows: ctrl + alt + shift
  • open Photoshop
  • click Yes in the dialog that asks "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Now with "Deactivate Native Canvas" checked it is working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @PrunusAv18 

Resetting Preferences will put Photoshop back to a factory installation and will clear things up if PS starts to misbehave. You want to back up any customization first, such as Actions, Brushes, and anything else you have created.

Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, like all things in the universe, there is can be no "action" without an equal and opposite "reaction."  Can anyone say what, exactly, are the consequences of these actions of "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file" and "Deactivate Native Canvas"?  There just cannot be no other impact to doing this.  What will happen to all my other customizations, actions, preferences, etc.?  That's the whole point of Photoshop - to modify it to how I work, not make more work for me solving other problems that a "solution" to one problem then causes someplace else...

Forgive the cynicism, but I've been worn down in technology and software glitches by "solutions" for one problem that then cause a bunch of unexpected problems in other places, that then, going through the same process, investing still more time and effort and frustration, ultimately results in "Reinstall Mac OS" or "Reinstall Windows" as last-ditch solutions.

(Homily portion for Adobe if they're listening: This is a huge problem with the "subscription model" of Photoshop.  Adobe announces some new "update" that it vaguely describes (and never has in depth descriptions for) and then you install it, thinking things will improve, only to create a host of new problems that you didn't have before.  

The solution is to have a) a simple feedback mechanism to report bugs like Apple does, and b) Adobe to fix them before moving on to the next "upgrade" and c) explain in detail what the problems are and the fixes with each release.  OK, end of homily... 🙂

So, again, can anyone tell me what exacty are the consequences of simply "Deleting the Adobe Photoshop Settings file" and "Deactivating the Native Canvas"?  I'd like to know before I do it.

Much thanks and much obliged!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here.  I get a white screen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Prunus Av18. I have off and on been trying everything ever since Big Sur came out - nobody at adobe could help. But thanks to you, I have my lighting effects and lens flare back! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines