Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting Effects not working

New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10.

Ever since I updated to 22.4.1, my Render > Lighting Effects isn't working. There's no guide to move the light and I keep getting two baffling errors.

The first error insists that "Use Graphics Processor" should be checked... It is checked. I've even unchecked and rechecked it.

FG74udT.png

The second error insists I don't have enough RAM... I have 32 gigs of RAM.

bbo9b9s.png

When those two errors pop up it outright refuses to open the Lighting Effects workspace altogether but sometimes it WILL open it... only I won't be able to make any changes on the image. It'll show that there's some kind of spotlight out but there's no way to move it and the sliders do nothing to change it.

GWDFMRZ.png

Repair attempts I've made:

1 - I've made sure that my video card driver is up to date. It is.

2 - I've selected View > Show > All to see if the UI was hidden. The controls still refuse to show up and the sliders still don't work. They move, but the light doesn't actually change.

3 - I've uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop altogether. Still getting the errors and inability to manipulate the spotlight in any way.

I am a graphic designer that uses photoshop practically daily. I took a couple days for myself and when I came back it updated to 22.4.1 and now this is happening. Please help, I need to be able to use lighting effects for my job!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Hi

Try enabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2021-05-20 09_59_13-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this last update PS 2022 I lost the ablity to adjust my lighting effect, even when I changed the presetting ones like "3down" my pictures would just show a light from the top right corner again no way to move it like we use to be able too. It's been driving me mad cause I use the lighting effects often and really need to be able to adjust the brightness angles etc. I have been hunting for solutions for a few days saw this and my Deactivate Native Canvas was not checked. After check marking it and restarting PS tada it's back as normal Thank you for this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This worked for me! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this quick fix, you saved me a lot of trouble!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the suggestions but the filter doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Jasurbek Hasanov and @spider9137 please check if you can still install a version 22 (not 2022) of Photoshop as a previous version: Install a previous version from the Creative Cloud application: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

If not, you might have to contact Customer service in your country to install it. 

The 3D features are being removed, and Lighting Effects is part of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many versions are available? Couldn't install version 22.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jasurbek Hasanov version 22.2 is available from the Creative Cloud app, did you try and install it from there.

2023-02-03 11_08_42-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2023, on a Mac with M1,running on Monterey,

I'm able to do everything except move the change light direction, I don't even see the gizmo on the screen like in the demo videos I have seen in YouTube, it seems to be an issue going on for a while.

if I followed the Solved or corrected way to do it, by Deactivate Native canvas, this will grey out the Lighting Effect In drop-down menu. 
I even restarted. 
any fix coming up?

it seems that it has been forgotten about since some one had posted a fix, but M1Macs are out with another issue added. 
I also, followed this YouTube post it has 11,000 views and 200 comments, that means there is an issue 

his way didn't help me, Howe er it helped others, I think PC users. 
https://youtu.be/ZWEGyFiYBYE

Fix Lighting effects filter error or not working properly, errors like 3D graphic not compatible, Not enough RAM, etc. 00:00 Introduction 00:40 Check Graphic Card (VGA) compatibility & Driver is updated 00:56 Disable OpenCL 01:36 Main Solution (Technology Previews) 02:17 Check Result 03:00 The End

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I combined different suggestions from this forum and found a solution that worked for me:

1) [Edit > Preferences > Performance]
🗹 Use Graphics Processor
Click in Advanced Settings below: 
🗹 Drawing Mode: Advanced
🗹 Use OpenCL

2) [Edit > Preferences > Technology Previews]
🗹 Deactivate Native Canvas

3) Close and restart Photoshop -- don't skip!

4) Make sure [Image > Mode] is 8 Bits/channel, otherwise Lighting Effects will be disabled. 

5) Let's check the effects quickly with [Filter > Render > Lighting Effects] 

6) Finally, I clicked on [View > Show > All] and disabled Grid and Slices

7) Don't forget you can find the Reset button by holding Alt

All these steps combined worked for me. I hope it helps! 🙂
__ 
Microsoft Windows 10 64bit 
Adobe Photoshop 2021 22.4.3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these detailed steps. On my Windows 10 machine I got the Lighting Effects to work simply by checking  Deactivate Native Canvas.

The issue is with MAC OS.

Also, disabling Grid and Slices would take away functionality to make another function work -- that would be another Adobe flaw. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to try different suggestions to make it work, but it finally worked. Yay! ~ I'm glad you solved the problem on your side too.

Turning off the Grid and Slices view isn't a requirement to make the control handles appear -- I just wanted to keep  the view as clean as possible and that's what worked for me at that particular moment 🙂

Thanks for your reply! ^-^ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read something by Adobe that says they're removing Render Lighting Effects and 3D from version 22.5 on. For a short time it can be worked around, but will be permanently deprecated soon. They say that 3D will be handled by the Substance software (probably something else they can sell you a subscription to). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. In addition to the error message you got I´ve got several others after trying out sollutions found on Google. This did not work either. 

I´m actually getting a bit annoyed. I was supposed to do a project today that really neaded this feature. Instead Im surfing the web for a sollution to a problem that I see so many others have.

I´m paying for PS, but not able to get payed using it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've the same problem on Photoshop 23.5.1 : no control tools to manage the light parameters are available. I've only some slidebars on the right panel, but it's not that I need.

I tried all the given solutions, but the problem is still not solved.

Does somebody have another suggest ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not why adobe disable some features but they still implemented in program and do not work. Also what 3d in this filter it's just mask to bright areas what we can make manual but take more time, is it so hard to make it work without 3d things? Another reason to migrate on Affinity or other products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking "Deactivate Native Canvas" may be the first step, but it hasn't helped. Now the Render>Lighting Effects is not greyed out, but I'm only getting one "spotlight" filter and can't do anything to adjust it. Where are all the other settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines