• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting effects *still* not working

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been desperately trying to get lighting effects to work in PS, as it's needed in my current project. However, no matter what I do, it fails. I just purchased a new 24" M1 iMac w/ 16 GB of memory and a 2 GB hard drive (I couldn't wait to get a 27" M1 - I'll have to trade up next year) and freshly installed PS. Unfortunately, I initially had the same problems with lighting effects that I had on my old iMac - the preview had either all black or all white, with a few horizontal lines where you could just see the background image. 

Yes, I did the following: Preferences > Technology Previews > enable "Deactivate Native Canvas" and restarted PS. Now I can see my image and how the lights affect it, BUT, there are no handles or circles defining the lights. So I can't manipulate them. It's useless. This project is on a ticking clock, but I'm fresh out of ideas and I'm just manually adding lighting effects. What a disappointment, particularly with a new iMac. What the heck is up with this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ChappsInLA 

Try the suggestions in this thread that worked for others:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/about-render-lighting-effects-bug-in-photoshop-22...

They include rolling back to 22.3 and running PS through Rosetta.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally got it to work, after deactivating native canvas and restarting Photoshop (didn't work); then restarting the computer (didn't work); then reactivating native canvas and deactivating, then restarting Photoshop (didn't work); restarting Photoshop again (finally worked!). Wow ... never have I ever had to jump through so many hoops for a feature to work before. The average user who has this issue will never come up with that combination. 

Of course, I have to wonder if I should reactivate native canvas for other features to work. I'm really not sure about what it does. Anyway, I was finally able to use the functionality, along with other features that had worked previously. I'm exhausted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines