Exit

Lighting Effects Weirdness

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 20 (2019)

Mac Mojave

While teaching this morning I used the lighting effects and all seemed just fine. Went to move the object and it turned black... so weird. Wondering if anyone can reproduce the problem...

Result after using Lighting effects

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 9.24.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-25 at 9.24.43 AM.png

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Reported as fixed in the now released v 20.0.2

Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE CC 20.0.1

Many issues when applying Lighting Effect as a standard Filter on a Layer/Background Layer are not resolved in update 20.0.1

1. The preview of the Lighting Effects is not always accurate. After applying the filter in some cases the result looks different than in the preview.

2. When applying the Lighting Effect on a (non background) layer, the image can turns black after flattening or after conversion to a smart object ( especially  large images).

3. The image turns totally black after saving.

When applying Lighting Effects as a smart filter several issues are now resolved:

It's now possible to apply more than 1 Lighting Effect on a layer. The preview is accurate. The temporary 3D layer has been disappeared. As far as I can see now it works  without any problem. The CC 2019 files which contains a Lighting Effect as a smart filter are now fully compatible with Photoshop CC 2018.

My advise:

Don't use Lighting Effect as a standard filter in CC 2019, but only as a Smart Filter, until Adobe has resolved all above mentioned issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Tried applying lighting effects as a Smart Filter and it crashed PS. After a bit of research, tried changing some settings under Preferences>Performance, to no avail. Finally, on a hunch that trying to apply the smart object filter with the other project layers was overloading the GPU, I nested another smart object within the first one, then applied the filter to THAT. It worked, computer didn't crash, and I no longer got the black image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, on Windows 10 with Geforce 680M (granted it's old, but it works great).

I add a spotlight to a layer, then OK it. Back to the main view, if I zoom in a little the image dims. If I save the image back to lightroom it dims AND doesn't display the spotlight. If I export the image as a new file, it's also dim. The brightness drops a lot when zooming or exporting.

Also if I zoom in to say 2:1 or maybe a little less, I can adjust the layer opacity and it becomes completely black. There's no blending.

Original image converted to 8 bit to allow lighting effects.

A little annoying to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, sadly Adobe seem unable to help on this matter, I have tried the 'not moving it' to no avail. This problem is erratic and I have experienced it on all formats PNG, JPEG, Tiff, CR2.

Had no problem with one Jpeg file then it occurred on another Jpeg file for no reason. I have reinstalled the most recent version of Mojave, uninstalled Photoshop CC, deleted the preferences from the Library and reinstalled everything. Nothing doing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-01-03 11.40.41 copy.jpgHave been so frustrated with this.  When they originally launched 2019, I had no lighting effects. Then I guess they did the fix but was coming up with it crashing when I said "ok".  Started using 2018 but am paying for 2019.  Annoying.

Anyway did a quickie "duplicate layer" and then converted that to "smart object" and it seems to work so far.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reported as fixed in the now released v 20.0.2

Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 21.0.1 here and this issue is definitely NOT fixed! It's even messing up documents I made a year ago with PS20 and tested today with PS21. When I try to apply Lighting Effects, either nothing happens or it turns the layer (smart object) black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 21.02 here and i have yet to have any working lighting effects in 2020.  Works fine in 2019 but not the latest 21.02.

I've tried everything from resetting GPU \ preferences etc and nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to throw my name in the hat – 21.0.2 and lighting effects not working on a smart object or rasterised layer – just giving me blackness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I reset my preferences, quit Photoshop, restarted, and lighting effects works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem may have been reported fixed but as of today (1Feb20) it's still a problem. After much frustration, on a hunch,  I renamed the source file before attempting to add lighting effects and this worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not fixed as you witnessed in 20.0.3 and when you said rename the source file are you just talking about the actual psd file?  have you clicked on the trasform control check-box and tried?  I can get it to "work" if i un-check transform control and restart PS but the second i click on transform conrol so i can resize objects the lighting effects no longer work.  I have opened two tickets with Adobe and after they got on my computer (two different ones) both cases ended with them saying we will get back to you after a senior tech looks at the problem.

whats your specs?

-King

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  in the version 21.1.1 release notes lists the black lighting effects as being fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on the phone six times with Adobe CC 2020, each time I explained the same problem. Each tech took me through a number of fixes that did not work. Adobe finally told me that the lighting filter does not work and they are working on it. I also repeated myself six times explaining that the same thing happened with the release of CC 2019 which you are using. They could save customers time and trouble by simply stating they are attempting to fix the lighting filter. I have found one way to get the filter to work: Save your file, then quit and RESTART Photoshop. No tech told me this. You will loose your history however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  21.1.1 release notes lists the black lighting effects as being fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I finally have the ability to use lighting effects with my students. It is a critically important tool for theatre and design people. I commend the developers of this filter. However, I do believe Adobe should inform customers of problems with software in a more public way or, at least reply earlier to users who experience the same issues. As stated earlier, I was on the phone six times and I explained that the same problems occured when I updated to cc 2019. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines