• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line tool is not drawing lines, but boxes?

Contributor ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After drawing a line with the line tool, changing the stroke thickeness doesn't do anything.

Infact it looks like a box shape was drawn instead of just a line. 

Has this always been the case? or is this a bug.

I"m on version 21.2.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Pu Koh. Not sure if you actually found a resolution after all this time, but I did. Reset Line Tool. I was drawing lines just fine (no "boxing") then all of a sudden... box. [ Cursing removed by moderator ]. I went searching. This fixed my problem: For the record, the prior "assistance" offered in this thread was clearly someone trying to be waaaay to philosophical about geometry and not understanding you very simple, very annoying, problem, which I, too, just experienced. Hope it helps. Happy Photoshopping. 🙂 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-get-my-line-tool-back/td-p/9... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Siobhan25236128a5sz 

@Pu Koh posted in June 2020. Things have changed.

Read this reply from JJMack (R.I.P.) in October when PS 2021 was released that starts with these words:

@JJMack wrote:

Adobe changed the line tool in 2021.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that I'm trying to use the line tool to make a dashed line, but since it's a box it creates this weird overlapping thing which is not what I want at all. I feel like it never used to do this. I've worked with PS for a long time but maybe I'm thinking of Illustrator....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with PS for a long time but maybe I'm thinking of Illustrator....

By @kev_n

When I draw shapes, I draw them in Illustrator. If they need to be in Photoshop, I know I can copy and paste!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kev, I have always found the line tool and dashed lines nonintuitive in Photoshop.  The box below is about 250 pixels on the long side.  When I first created it, I couldn't see any dashes because the default dash-gap values were too small.  I can also be difficult to see a dashed line if it is hidden behind the vectore shape bounding box, so setting Align to Outside (temporarily if so required) moves it to where it is visible.  You can adjust the Stroke value after the line/box  is made.

image.png

If you set the Line thickness to a higher value, that effectively becomes the hieght of a box.  Set fill to off and line type to dashed, and you are good to go.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your corners, @Trevor.Dennis, and see how horrible they are. Illustrator used to do it this way back in the Dark Ages. A long, long time ago they gave us a choice:

• use the exact numbers for the dash and gap, then use math to get the right width and height
  • let Illustrator fudge a little on the numbers and give us good corners

janee_0-1698365808266.png

This is why I prefer Illustrator for drawing. Photoshop still wins for image editing.  😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I hardly use Illustrator as you know, which is my bad,  but I was so blown away by the Retype feature at MAX, I have started having a play — which is not far off from learning it from scratch.  When I think how frustrating those dashed lined corners are in Photoshop and that I have had Illustrator all this time, I can't help but agree with you.

There you go.  I've made a start.  Just look at those corners. 🙂

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hooray Trevor, we'll get you on board with Illustrator yet! The set of buttons to the right of the "Dashed Line" checkbox lets you return to the ancient method of using the exact numbers, but the default is to go with good corners.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Pu Koh, I figured it out. Mine was doing the same thing so I played with the settings. The guy below is kinda right, the quick and easy answer is, go all the way to the right and find the box for weight. Make sure it says 1. That's it. 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes apparently adobe tweaked the tool.

But the line weight is still not changeable after drawing it, because it still draws as a rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines