• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lip syncing 24 fps footage to 12fps rotoscope?

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm hoping to create a rotoscope animation using Photoshop (newest CC update). I'm familiar with the technique and have the basics down, however, I'm struggling at one point.

My plan is to record an actor speaking and singing and then create a 12fps animation synced to the 24fps video footage. Basically, this will mean each drawn frame needs to cover two recorded frames. However, from what I've seen, when I change the rotoscoping timeline in Photoshop from 24 to 12 fps, the timeline itself shrinks (meaning, if it had been 2 minutes, it now becomes 1 minute). 

Does this mean my animation created in that timeline will now be out of sync with the video file once exported? Or, if I export the 12fps animation at 24fps, will it stretch back to the right size and be in sync (i.e., with each drawn fram covering 2 recorded frames)? 

I hope all that makes sense. Any help in this area will be most gratefully received--thanks!

- Chris

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend that you use After Effects where you can use the Roto Brush and change the framerate for imported footage. Here's more info:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Myra!

Thanks for your help on this! I should have been more clear. When I talk about 'rotoscoping,' I'm not refering to the technique where you 'cut out' a portion of a video (which, as you point out, is called rotoscoping), but to the technique where you trace over footage frame-by-frame and so create an animated copy of the video. This is, to my knowledge, also called rotoscoping and I'm not sure if there's a way distinguish between the two processes. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines