• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

load a layer as a selection

Advisor ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screenshot below, I want to tweak the color of the white areas only of Layer 16, to make them match the white in the adjoining layer.  I don't want the green areas in Layer 16 to be affected.  I think the best way to do this is to make a selection out of Layer 16, then choose Select>Color Range and click on the white areas, and choose Curves to make the adjustments.  How do I load the Layer as a selection?  Surprisingly, while there is an All Layers option under Select, there does not appear to be a "Current Layer" option or the equivalent.  Thanks.  

bartonlew_0-1658976713313.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Yea, if you want to just correct the whites of that one layer, select it and use color range to select the whites. You can turn all the other layers off and use the channels to make a selection of the layer's luminosity, by ctrl/and clicking on the channel thumbnail, but that would select other areas that just the white, unless you duplicate one of the channels and use curves or levels to isolate just the whites.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, one way to only control the selected area is split these parts then you can get two layers and do whatever you like on any layer without affecting other colors.regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'm not sure what is meant exactly by "split these parts."  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, if you want to just correct the whites of that one layer, select it and use color range to select the whites. You can turn all the other layers off and use the channels to make a selection of the layer's luminosity, by ctrl/and clicking on the channel thumbnail, but that would select other areas that just the white, unless you duplicate one of the channels and use curves or levels to isolate just the whites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chuck.  As you know when you use Select>Color Range the color you are selecting is selected on all layers.  If you turn off only but that layer you can't see the color you may be trying to match to in the other layers.  If, on the other hand you make a selection you can use Color Range affecting only that selection while seeing the other layers.  What I want then is to select the entire layer and target the one color in that layer.  Ctrl+Alt+right-click on a PC is supposed to select a layer, but it’s not doing that for me.   When I press Ctrl+Alt, then right-click, nothing happens. 

You mentioned channels and luminosity, which I have virtually no experience with.  Does that give you finer control than using Curves and adjusting RGB/Red/Green/Blue values on the graph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using channels, you can select the channel that gives you the best contrast with the colors. Then you duplicate that channel, and can use either layers or curves to further refine what will be selected. It's a great way to make selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select only Highlights using Color Range then intersect (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click on layers thumbnail) with layer 16 bounds or pixel content. In this way only highlights inside bounds of layer will remain selected.

Use Color Range > Highlights. With selection active press Ctrl + Alt + Shift and click on Layer 16 thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Are these the correct settings in the Color Range dialog box in the screenshot below?  When I click OK, highlights for the whole document are selected.  When I then click Ctrl+Alt+Shift and click on the Layer 16 thumbnail nothing happens.  This is similar to when I try to select the layer by doing Ctrl+Alt+right-click which also results in nothing happening. 

I found this method for selectng a Layer online:

"select the Move tool in the toolbox, select the Auto-Select checkbox in the options bar, and select Layer from the menu to the right of the checkbox. Now click a layer in the document window to select it."

But instead of selecting the layer, the top curves adjustmet layer assocoated with that layer became selected in the Layers panel, and nothing else happened.  This is happening for anywhere I click in the document.  The topmost adjustment layer associateed with the Layer becomes selected in the Layers panel and the Layer itself is not atcually selected in the Document Window, which is what I want.  

bartonlew_0-1659051556372.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines