• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Load Files into Stack, bug with RAW files.

Participant ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i go File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack and select RAW files, in my case Sony *.ARW files, it loads all files okay, however last RAW file is NOT rasterized automatically it loads as Smart Object.

Then i have to manually rasterize it because otherwise i cannot use Edit > Auto-Align Layers and Edit > Auto-Blend Layers.

Also File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack opens Load Layers window where there's option Attempt to Automatically Align Source Images which also does not work because last RAW file is loaded as Smart Object.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one cares to adress this BUG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone confirm or deny?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone confirm or deny?

By @ivan25349743g7a0

Not happening here.

Sony a7rIII, tried both .dng and .arw with and without xmp sidecars. Windows 10 pro, Photoshop 23.4.2.

But it has to be said: this is not a good way to do it. All ACR adjustments on the raw data are lost, and the images all open at ACR default settings. This means that if you're going to do any adjustments at all, you need to do it on rendered RGB data in Photoshop. This is a very limited subset of the original full raw data.

In short - you're throwing image quality away. You have no highlight and shadow recovery options, for instance.

The golden rule is to always do as much as possible in ACR/Lightroom first, and only then move to Photoshop for anything you can't do in raw processing.

A much better way to do it is to use Lightroom Edit In > Open as layers in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for verifying, i get same bug even when i load regular JPG files into stack. I like this feature because i prefer not using Lightroom for organizing photos.

From my first hand experience when RAW file loaded as 16 Bit RGB in Photoshop (not a smart object just pixels), highlights and shadows can be recovered with Photoshop just as good as from RAW file using ACR.

Same if you save RAW as TIFF, all data is there, image is not loosing anything, except file size goes way bigger.

P.S. I also do most image edits in ACR because its better for file size and only load photoshop when i reach ACR limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my first hand experience when RAW file loaded as 16 Bit RGB in Photoshop (not a smart object just pixels), highlights and shadows can be recovered with Photoshop just as good as from RAW file using ACR.

By @ivan25349743g7a0

No, you don't understand the fundamental difference between a raw file and a rendered RGB file. Lots of dynamic range is thrown away in that process.

Here's an example of what you can do in ACR (or Lr in this particular case). I've also attached a crop from the original unadjusted file, opened as 16 bit Adobe RGB, and saved as PSD. Feel free to have a crack at that, to see if you can get a similar result. 

overexposure.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skin tones are very subjective thing and not the best for demonstration, besides i need a raw file to compare the difference.

I did my own tests and for landscape photography i get 90% of the RAW dynamic range if i open in PS as 16 bit RGB, its enough for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Have you reset the photoshop preferences by going to Edit>Preferences>General, clicking Reset Preferences On Quit and restarting photoshop?

Which Sony camera are the files from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried with PS v23.5 on Windows 10 and i get same problem. Reset Preferences and still same problem.

I believe this bug is related to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), tested on ACR v14.5.0.1177, (had this behavior as far as i can remember, since PS CS6 until latest version)

When i set inside Edit > Preferences> Camera Raw ... > File Handling  option JPEG to Automatically open all supported JPEGs and load JPG files into stack i get same bug with last file being Smart Object while rest are regular pixels.

When i set above option to Disable JPEG support, then PS loads JPG into stack without creating smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this bug be fixed please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't happen here, no bug, not with raw files, not with jpeg. Just can't reproduce it.

Even with jpeg support set in ACR preferences, they all open as regular pixel layers.

There must be something special with your files - or perhaps corrupt preferences. Have you tried to reset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why you cant reproduce it, tried on completly different machine, Windows 10 latest updates and clean install of Photoshop v24.4.1 and i am still getting this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the camera raw preferences under Workflow do you have Open in Photoshop as Smart Object checked?

If so, uncheck it and see if the issue goes away.

so.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the camera raw preferences under Workflow do you have Open in Photoshop as Smart Object checked?

If so, uncheck it and see if the issue goes away.

By @Jeff Arola

Yes, issue goes away, if this option is unchecked.
However this is not a solution for the bug, as i need that option checked for importing camera RAW images trough ACR plugin, i prefer to have smart objects for loseless workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Until it gets fixed you can press Shift for Open Objects (Smart Objects)

openobj.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines