Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a replacement Photoshop CS5 app

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I've been using my brother's Photoshop CS5 for some years now. I'm only an amateur but quite enjoy mucking around on it and seeing what I can do. My laptop died, however, and my brother never reinstalled it, so now I'm looking for a replacement version.

I've tried to do research but am still rather confused on which one (if any) I should get. I thought Photoshop Elements 2023 may suit my needs, but the pages and videos haven't advertised the features I require. I have downloaded Photoshop Express but honestly find it useless.

Apart from your typical photos/images manipulation, I'll be doing things like calendars, cards, t-shirt designs and family tree diagrams (just to name a few). So I would like ability to draw lines, boxes and have word art etc. I haven't come across any Photoshop that can do that.

I also DO NOT want to be paying for a subscription (however I will if necessary for a month just to get things done), and I also don't want to be paying stupid amounts for an app (I'm aware that previous perpetual licences have cost between $1200-$1500 AUD).

Ideally, I would like a perpertual licence and something I can use offline. I am not worried about updates and receiving the latest whatever. 

Hopefully someone can help me out? I appreciate anyone that's read to the end. Cheers.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is primarily a user to user support forum for Adobe products, this is about all we can suggest: you can update and subscribe to a modern version of Photoshop or use Elements (nonsubscription). Those are your opinions on Adobe products. Or stick with what you have. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thedigitaldog, but I already know those are my options (as mentioned in my post). I also don't have a current option which is why I am here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What feature do you need that dosen't work in Elements? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other option is getting the Photography Bundle which is only around $10 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

The features that I mentioned in my original post. I was unsure if Elements was PURELY photographic or photographic/graphic design. 

The Photography 20GB cost $14.29AUD/month, and the Photography 1TB cost $28.59AUD/month. Either way, not suitable for my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Darkangel593 

You can get a 7-day trial of Photoshop (subscription) and a 30-day trial of Photoshop Elements (perpetual).

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that Photoshop Elements is 40% off for the Black Friday sale and is currently $59.99. It does not say how long this sale will last, so you might want to act quickly if you are considering it. When I move misplace posts from this forum to that one, I see that some folks will keep using a version for ten years.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html

Also, your license, whether perpetual or subscription, is for one user. It is not to be shared with a second person.

"I also DO NOT want to be paying for a subscription (however I will if necessary for a month..."

The US$9.99 price mentioned above is an annual subscription, paid monthly, with a commitment for a year. The monthly "cancel anytime" plan is US$31.49 per month.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For photoshop elements there are a couple of plugins that add some photoshop features:

https://elementsplus.net/

https://thepluginsite.com/products/elementsxxl/index2.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also consider https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.macworld.com/article/1390832/adobe-photoshop-premiere-elements-2023-discount.html

Save big on Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 2023 in Black Friday sale
Take up to 35 percent off.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@TheDigitalDog wrote on 23 November:

Take up to 35 percent off.

It's probably best to use the Adobe link I posted two days ago in this thread, Andrew. It's 40% instead of 35%, saving USD$5.

@jane-e wrote on 21 November:

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that Photoshop Elements is 40% off for the Black Friday sale and is currently $59.99. ...

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines