• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

losing blend modes when merging or exporting as png

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few layers some of them are on multiply blend mode and some are on normal blend mode, The problem is when I try to merge all of them as a smart object the blend modes are lost and all of them become normal and every time I try to export as png it looks good in photoshop but the blend modes become normal after exporting even when I create a stamp visible layer on the top.community.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must compare blending before and after merging at 100% zoom.

At lower zoom levels the preview is an approximation, at 100% it is accurate.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compared them in all kinds of zoom, the image that I uploaded is just to show the difference between the result in photoshop and the result after exporting as png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One Layer can only have one Blend Mode, so converting multiple Layers with various Blend Modes to a Smart Object will yield the same result as merging the Layers to one Layer – one Smart Object/Layer with one Blend Mode. 

And a file format like png doesn’t carry a Blend Mode as such, though you may be able to assign it one in a layout application. 

In which application do you intend to use the exported image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to know why I cannot get the same result I see in photoshop. sometimes I am asked to remove backgrounds for some photos (as a freelancer) So the client expects that I will give him a png image then he can just put it on a website or on a pattern and once he opens it he will notice it cannot be used although it is made right inside photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultwk7l7gvzh87f wrote:

I just want to know why I cannot get the same result I see in photoshop. 

Because if you need to deliver a one-layer-image you seem to be going about it the wrong way. 

Again: One Layer/image – one Blend Mode. 

You should do the masking properly and, if necessary, decontaminate the edge-pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before merging, go to each layer with the blending modes activated, and go Layer>Rasterize>Layer Style. Then merge the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this option is grayed out because there areScreenshot 2022-07-06 162230.pngScreenshot 2022-07-06 162554.png no layer styles activated it is just the blend modes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue and I have tried everything to get it to save correctly.  Also since everyone is absolutely obsessed with 100% view I am going to attach the 100% view on the image and then how it looks when I save it and place it as a png into adobe illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023-06-06 (1).png2023-06-06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@linebacker54uw wrote:

I have the exact same issue and I have tried everything to get it to save correctly.  Also since everyone is absolutely obsessed with 100% view I am going to attach the 100% view on the image and then how it looks when I save it and place it as a png into adobe illustrator.

Have you bothered reading the previous posts? 

One Layer – One Blend Mode. 

Different pixels of a png placed in Illustrator cannot have different Blend Modes. 

Edit: Instead of placing one merged image in Illustrator you could convert the psd-image’s Layers – naturally both the psd- and the ai-file should share the same Color Space. 

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 10.15.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try again: 

If you think you are »losing blend modes« that’s because one Layer naturally cannot have multiple Blend Modes; merging multiple Layers of various Blend Modes will result in one Layer (in which the pixels will result from the combination of the previously existing Layers’ pixels and their respective Blend Modes) that has one Blend Mode. 

So a previsouly unnoticable white pixel on a Layer with the Blend Mode Multiply may become a noticable white pixel if the merged Layer has the Blend Mode Normal for example. 

That is as intended and expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re. Smart Objects, possibly related is that you cannot just do anything.

I once wanted to load a prepared psd with adjustment layers as a S.O. and remotely activate each layer individually (with Layer Comps), but that didn't work or acted weirdly. I first had to copy my photo (or merged view) into the S.O. as a background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re. Smart Objects, possibly related is that you cannot just do anything.

I once wanted to load a prepared psd with adjustment layers as a S.O. and remotely activate each layer individually (with Layer Comps), but that didn't work or acted weirdly. I first had to copy my photo (or merged view) into the S.O. as a background.

By @Signfeld

Please provide a meaningful description along with screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Flattening the image before saving? or making a Stamp visible layer (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I fixed it! Had the same problem and everybody's comments didn't help at all! Select all layers, right click and rasterize layer, then rasterize layer styles and you'll be able to save without anything changing! This is quite a disruptive method but you can just undo it after saving to continue editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines