• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Photoshop 21.1.3 freezes when using Adjustments on macOS (Rulers enabled)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought that the problem when using intensity/contrast in adjustments (it is extremly slow to the point I think the computer freezes) was solved by restoring preferences and restoring warning messages, but as it turns out the problem is still there! Turning of the graphic card processor helps maybe a little (one or two times) but then there are other issues such as I can't use the filter "lightning effects". The problem is there wether I work on a big or small file. The only thing I can upgrade on the computer is to the OS Catalina.

Computer :  OS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27, 2019), processor Intel Core i9, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

Please need help!

/Jan

{Moderator note: PS-48654

Thread title edited}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020
Hi all,

Apologies for the frustrating freeze with some Photoshop adjustments: We've added this issue to Photoshop's known issues documentation.

The current workarounds that we’re aware of are:
  • Disable Rulers (CMD+R on Mac, Ctrl+R on Win), or
  • Move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop’s workspace/interface before touching any sliders.
Let us know how this goes.

We have been able to reproduce the freeze internally and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.
Stay tuned to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of  Photoshop 21.2.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop 21.1.3: Hue Saturation dialog not responsive

Here's a list of fixed issues in this release: Bug fixes

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,
Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 152 Replies 152
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay i'm glad i'm not the only one! i've lost so much work because of this bug. first it was just brightness/contrast. then hue/saturation did it too. nightmare. i work with a lot of digital collage so this has been a MAJOR f'ing problem for me. a couple of times a recovered PSD was available, but definitely not every time. really rough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of  Photoshop 21.2.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop 21.1.3: Hue Saturation dialog not responsive

Here's a list of fixed issues in this release: Bug fixes

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,
Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went to PS2020 because of the plethora of bugs and glitches in CC2019. Working wonderfully for 6 months or better, then today out of the blue, every time I attempted to make an adjustment in Color Balance, the app freezes. No OS updates, no other updates, no other changes to any part of my system that, I'm aware of. Adobe. Sh!t rolls downhill and so does your QC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a well known bug. Instead of doing the Color Balance adjustment from the Image > Adjustment menu, go to the Layer Panel and use the Color Balance adjustment layer from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 2 month Photoshop constantly crashes and when I force to quit it then freezes my Imac, it can happen with adjustment, with perspective editing or during transformation. I updated to the last version and to Catalina, it's still the same. Really disapointed I'm loosing a lot of professional time, it's absolute not usable … I can not restart my computar 30 times a day.
Last update didn't changed anything for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, for me the latetst update of Photoshop fixed my issues with adjustments (MAC OS 10.15.5, Photoshop 21.2.0).

Even with "rulers on"! ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop upgrade released this week fixed this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have had the problem despite hiding the ruler, it does freeze the photoshop and then I have shut the computer to restart everything. I have reinstalled photoshop but still the same issue. I use Mac Pro 2019 with 96GB RAM and OS Catalina 10.15.5.

Need to fix this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The freezing bug has been fixed in v21.2 Please update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only version I can find is 21.1.3 Where can I get this 21.2 upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been reaing about photoshop and the delay problems when doing an action (hue and sat, lightness contrast etc) several adobe community professionals are suggesting its fixed in 21.2 I can assure them it is not I am running latest mac operating software and latest photoshop  and its still lags terribly, Has anyone actually come with a solution ( obviosuly having read 8 pages of comments, the rulers things did not work, the dialog boxes removed from the main photoshop window did not work, this is a huge problem for professional working at speed it might halved my production time of complex retouches and illustrative subjects.. come on Adobe offer some help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I have a problem with my photoshop.

Am using Mackbook pro i7, OS Catalina 10.15.5
PS version 21.2.0...
When I do any action in photoshop it blanks out... I have to zoom in or zoom out to view the artboard. I am facing this issue for the past 2 months. How to rectify this... It is very hard to work this way... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I uninstall and then reinstall photoshop without old
preferences. This is the most important, clean photoshop. The only issue
was I had to manually update my preferences. Since then I have had no
problems including a ruler or no ruler etc. Hope this helps.
--
Atul Joshi MD, FRCS, MCh(Ortho)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this i think

because the latest upgrade by adobe is not making any difference

thank you and we will see I absolutely hate upgrades on software alwasy always huge problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to update to the latest version 21.2.0 everything works perfectly, even on Catalina well done Adobe all sorted, thank you  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Minky you are mistaken from my perspective we have 6 mac using photoshop users in our studio and the latest update does not solve anything its still slow and lags relly badly..

Not well done Adobe! not sorted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me Maserati123.  I have the latest OS (Catalina 10.15.7) and photoshop constantly freezes when I use the saturation adjustmenty.  I lose current work because I have to force quit.  Please, oh please fix this!  This is affecting my wortkflow very negatively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi gusmichael

i had the same problem before, and the latest upadte fixed this

- did you install the latest upadte of PHOTOSHOP (and not your OS) ?

- do you really USE the latest update (ex : 2 versions of photoshop in your app folder, the latest and an old one, and you continue to use the old one) ?

- do you know that if you wait ( ok ... a loooong time), photoshop unfreeze and you can save your work ?

hope that helps...

regards, 

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Alex for the reply.  I have the latest OS (Catalina 10.15.7).  I have the latest version of Photoshop (21.2.4) which I use.  Still freezes especially when using the saturation adjustment, not every time, but every time it does happen, it’s untimely.  Once, it took about 5 minutes to unfreeze, but other times, I’ve had to force quit because there are times when I don’t have the time to wait until Photoshop decides to unfreeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there are times when I don’t have the time to wait until Photoshop decides to unfreeze"

that's so true !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issue. Only way to solve is uninstall photoshop. Don’t save
preferences. Restart computer and then fresh reinstall.

Hope it works

--
Atul Joshi MD, FRCS, MCh(Ortho)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Atul Joshi,

will give it a try.  In the meantime I just stumbled across a way to unfreeze Photoshop when using the saturation adjustment (s).  I went to the task bar, hovered over the icon and chose hide.  Had to do it twice, but it unfroze Photoshop.  Will try to reinstall etc. and hopefully this will be a trick I won't have to use ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still happens in 23.2.0 and disabling rulers and moving the hue/saturation window outside the window doesn't help. It is horrible and totally blocking my workflow.

Happens with larger files, small files seemed to be fine but this doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, please share your system info, there might be something different in your machine?

Did you try resetting your preferences? see See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually (this way you can restore them easily does not change your problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines